Upgrade To Merc Original Sat Nav System or Go Pioneer? W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ethem

Anybody here done this upgrade and willing to give me their opinion? It seems I can source the original sat nav units for 5-600 around ebay and other sites and the same for a new Pioneer sat nav but I'm worried the pioneer would look a fair bit out of place

I have looked at this idea for my Vito 639.
Came up with a tomtom for now until the manufactures get up to date with Dab.
It seems what ever you fit is out of date and what happens when they switch off FM transmitters? no radio.
I contacted Kenwood and Alpine and Pioneer and they are working on Dab for next year.

I looked at the NTG 2.5 and would still like it, but was put off about changing the cluster to get it to work in my 639.

Richard and Alfie retro-fitted COMMAND NTG 2.5 on my facelift (2006) W203. Perfect fit and full integration with the instrument panel display plus the steering wheel buttons. Well worth it. :thumb:

Been using TomTom for year, it is a bit more flexible as you can program the thing on your PC at home at your own leisure, frequent map updates and selectable voices, plus it can be transferred to another vehicle (e.g. when going to the US and renting a car) but when it comes to actual route guidance the COMMAND is more effective by far.

I have a tracker on my car so it seems it already has some sort of gps receiver on it. I was driving in to central london yesterday and it gave me a warning that I was entering a congestion charging zone so I dont see it being too difficult...also, my car is a facelift model but I dont see what I would do with the space left over...any after market panel to fit in its place would look horrible

If you go aftermarket you will have to use a fascia panel. Double Din Fascia online at Nexxia UK=

As you have a post facelift then changing to NTG2.5 is easy enough. No fascia needed.

guide19.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at the NTG 2.5 and would still like it, but was put off about changing the cluster to get it to work in my 639.

You dont 'have' to change the cluster. If you are happy not to have the navigation display in the cluster then why change it?

You dont 'have' to change the cluster. If you are happy not to have the navigation display in the cluster then why change it?

Now I am confused, I am not worried about the cluster but would like all the steering wheel functions inc the phone controls.
I can see in the vito I will have to make a surround from what I have thats no problem, the later one is lower thats all.

If that is right then I will get one.

Now I am confused, I am not worried about the cluster but would like all the steering wheel functions inc the phone controls.
I can see in the vito I will have to make a surround from what I have thats no problem, the later one is lower thats all.

If that is right then I will get one.

email me a picture of the steering wheel and existing audio unit to [email protected] and I will tell you what you need.

Here is the audio 10 in the vito.
This I would like to replace with the NTG 2.5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom