upgraded tailgate struts Vito 114 VTS/L

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by Jamesieboy52, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jamesieboy52

Jamesieboy52 New Member

Car:
    Vito 114 VTS/L
    I am currently trying to source a set of upgraded tailgate gas struts. The 2014 Vito 114 VTS/L I own was recently
    fitted with a Mercedes 4 bike carrier. Unfortunately the rear door will not stay up with the bike carrier fixed and with no bikes attached.
    I can lift the door easily but the door closes without me holding it. I have spoken to Mercedes and they do not have uprated struts.
    Does anyone know where I can buy a set of upgraded struts from? Thanks.

2. Codger49

Codger49 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W209 CLK500, CLK280; W168 A190; E46 325i
    Try looking up a higher rated spring in the Stabilus Catalog. Believe they are the OEM supplier for MB struts.

Home

I found some of the right dimensions, mountings and support effort I needed and bought them through their UK agent F A Parkes. Does take some effort to identify the right ones as they seem to have thousands of differing struts.

Stays-Gas

PS took a month through Parkes, probably would have been quicker through German Ebay.

3. OP
    OP
    Jamesieboy52

Jamesieboy52 New Member

Car:
    Vito 114 VTS/L
    Thanks. That’s very helpful. I’ll have look.