Upgrading a W201 2.6 to 3.2 24v

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuga28

Car
Mercedes E220CDI (S211) 2005; Mercedes 190D 2.0 1989; VW Eos 1.4 TSI Bluemotion 2011
Hi.
I'm new to this forum, so I still don't know very well how search for things, or even if I'm in the right sub forum.
I live in Portugal and I'm planing to "build" a track car usable or the road as well.
To do so, I was planing to start with a m103 2.6 W201 and upgrading it with a m104 3.2 coming from a C124 E320 with getrag dog-leg gearbox. One of my doubts have to do with the fitments engine/gearbox/drive-shaft.
In terms of suspension I read about Yellow speed racing, but to be honest, I really have no idea what be the better suspension to do so.
Basically what I'm saying with this, is asking if anyone here has made a mod like that, and to ask for advice as well to have a better guidance of what to do.
Thank you.

Interesting project, a 190 with the 3.2 m104 is a fun car.

Suspension wise, look at h and r springs with koni sport dampers.

The getrag box will bolt up to an m104 if you have the correct flywheel from a 2.6 m103 fitted. You will want the front propshaft section from the 190 16v, as well as the gearbox crossmember. Use the engine mount arms from the 2.6 m103, and the radiator from a 2.6 190 with air conditioning (bigger radiator).

DSC01183.jpg

Last edited:
The E320 has the getrag box, the 2.6 has a manual 5 and also has air conditioning. In terms of diff, I read somewhere that there may have some trouble if the W124 has ASR/ASD and has to be fitted in one that may not have it. How it was written wasn't very clear. Did you or anybody experienced something like this?

I have a friend that had a similar project, but he used a 3.0-24. The base car was a 2.3 8v, but he had trouble gearbox and propshaft. My idea was to use the 2.6 base because I had the idea that in terms of fitments would be easier. Could the 5 speed gearbox from the 2.6 be used, or it would really be better to use the getrag?

The gearbox from the 2.6 could be used and would have the correct gearing for the 2.6 diff you already have in the car. The getrag box should use a higher geared diff like 3.07, so the car will feel short geared unless you use the diff from the e320 as well.

ASD is not a problem, but ASR is a pain. Have either of your cars got asr?

It seems the E320 does. I still haven't bought it, because I wanted to know for sure that I wouldn't have any problems fitting things first. Anyway if I did, when I do buy it, the rest of the car will be sold by parts to finance the project. The 2.6 only has ABS for all I know.

Honestly I don't know, but actually on the add of the E320 says the car has traction control, and getrag...

Honestly I don't know, but actually on the add of the E320 says the car has traction control, and getrag...

Don't believe the advert,any picture of the interior?If it has ASR,it'll have an extra switch

I think Jeremy on mercedes-190.co.uk has done this conversion, amongst others.

Ok, I'll give a check on it. He also started with a 2.6 manual?

Dunno.

2.6 slam panel makes it the sensible place to start the journey though.

Ok, there are some terms I don't know very well, but I'm still in time to learn them all :)

Dunno.

2.6 slam panel makes it the sensible place to start the journey though.

You say that because how close the slam panel is from the engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom