1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading SL500 Facelift stereo

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jlayfi, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Jlayfi

Jlayfi New Member

Car:
    SL500 (R230FL)
    Hi all - I have a 2008 SL500 Facelift and the stereo is still in 2008 and looking a bit dated / functionality limited. I'd like to upgrade it to a new double DIN unit with bluetooth so I can play music from my iPhone, but retain all the steering wheel functions and dash displays for nav, CD, radio, phone calls etc.

Has any done it? What did you change to? Does it all work still?

Thanks, Jamie.

2. richard

richard Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    MY04 SL55, MY17 GLC250d AMG Sport
    If you want all the dash displays to work, then you have to stick with Mercedes, so your option is the NTG2.5 from Model Year 2009. But to put that in, if you have BOSE it needs changing to HK :-(

The alternative is to remove it all and put in an aftermarket unit, and then you'll lose most of the dash displays relating to audio/nav, but the steering wheel controls can still operate some functions.

I've replaced the MY2004 Comand 2.0 in my SL with the full suite of MY09 stuff (NTG2.5 COMAND, TV, DAB, Comfort Phone, Harmon Kardon) but it was a mega job (including dashboard out to do it as factory ...)

Richard