Uprated Heat Exchanger...Do I need it

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by Dogbreath, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2005 E55K AMG
    Right I know all cooling helps but for my level of power is an uprated heat exchanger needed ? Is the stock one that bad ?

77mm pulley
    Headers + exhaust
    Bosch 010 pump
    Pcs split cooling ic tank
    K&n filters
    Car goes in for surgery beginning of Nov then upto John at Big Fish for a Remap
    While front bumper is off I can get a heat exchanger fitted..... just wondered if the experts think it's dead money or a worthwhile upgrade.....

Thanks
    Lee

2. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2014 E63 Biturbo
    Are you going to track the car, VMax runs etc. If so, definitely do it, but Jules ran his CLS55 with a 77mm pulley and remap without heat issues.

Any extra cooling has got to help so if you are in the position to do it, I would.

3. Ginger55k

Ginger55k Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2 taxis Serviced by PCS
    The split cooling and tank will make a massive difference to your IAT however increasing the water volume in the system is no bad thing, upgrade headers also help to remove heat as well, if your ripping the front off anyway i think its a no brainer to replace the HE, mine was leaking anyway as i started my cooling mods.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ginger55k

Ginger55k Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2 taxis Serviced by PCS
    Hate the word "issues" Roger, the colder it remains the more power the engine can produce, put it this way the ECU takes charge of the engine regarding the timing well before us mortals would even know if the car had an "issue":D

5. nickjonesn4

nickjonesn4 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55K AMG Wagon, MK 7 Golf R, Porsche 993 C2S
    Yes - Its a really good and cost effective mod in my experience

6. OP
    OP
    Dogbreath

Car:
    2005 E55K AMG
    Cheers lads
    I think I'll get one put on.
    Not gunna track the car as I don't think it's a track car as such but I wouldn't mind a few vmax runs next year.
    Lee

7. Cyclone1

Cyclone1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W218 CLS63 AMG
    Agreed, for the outlay and the fact you may be running 620 bhp + then it won't harm, not essential but worth doing as your current HE is likely to be the original. Would also consider doing the plugs for a colder grade if not already done. Ahead of mapping do little things like cleaning out the intake system and changing the filters. Clip the flaps of the intake cradles behind your grill. Make sure you have the right belt for the pulley.

Looks big forward to seeing the progress / results.

Jules

8. OP
    OP
    Dogbreath

Car:
    2005 E55K AMG
    Hi Jules
    I've searched your posts and found part numbers you put up for the belt and plugs and have got them, just waiting for the ic tank coming back from the metal polishers, hopefully looks good. Spoke with John at Big Fish and he told me to do everything before I got remapped, top man who spoke a lot of sense....!
    Thanks mate and good luck with the new car search....!

Lee

9. Cyclone1

Cyclone1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W218 CLS63 AMG
    John mapped mine at MSL as Jerry wasn't available, he did a cracking job with the map (Jerry had done my 84mm pulley map and part mapped the 77mm) and was very impressed with the drive ability and outputs.

Jules