Uprated Heat Exchanger...Do I need it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogbreath

Car
2005 E55K AMG
Right I know all cooling helps but for my level of power is an uprated heat exchanger needed ? Is the stock one that bad ?

77mm pulley
Headers + exhaust
Bosch 010 pump
Pcs split cooling ic tank
K&n filters
Car goes in for surgery beginning of Nov then upto John at Big Fish for a Remap
While front bumper is off I can get a heat exchanger fitted..... just wondered if the experts think it's dead money or a worthwhile upgrade.....

Thanks
Lee

Are you going to track the car, VMax runs etc. If so, definitely do it, but Jules ran his CLS55 with a 77mm pulley and remap without heat issues.

Any extra cooling has got to help so if you are in the position to do it, I would.

Right I know all cooling helps but for my level of power is an uprated heat exchanger needed ? Is the stock one that bad ?

77mm pulley
Headers + exhaust
Bosch 010 pump
Pcs split cooling ic tank
K&n filters
Car goes in for surgery beginning of Nov then upto John at Big Fish for a Remap
While front bumper is off I can get a heat exchanger fitted..... just wondered if the experts think it's dead money or a worthwhile upgrade.....

Thanks
Lee

The split cooling and tank will make a massive difference to your IAT however increasing the water volume in the system is no bad thing, upgrade headers also help to remove heat as well, if your ripping the front off anyway i think its a no brainer to replace the HE, mine was leaking anyway as i started my cooling mods.

Are you going to track the car, VMax runs etc. If so, definitely do it, but Jules ran his CLS55 with a 77mm pulley and remap without heat issues.

Any extra cooling has got to help so if you are in the position to do it, I would.

Hate the word "issues" Roger, the colder it remains the more power the engine can produce, put it this way the ECU takes charge of the engine regarding the timing well before us mortals would even know if the car had an "issue":D

Yes - Its a really good and cost effective mod in my experience

Cheers lads
I think I'll get one put on.
Not gunna track the car as I don't think it's a track car as such but I wouldn't mind a few vmax runs next year.
Lee

Agreed, for the outlay and the fact you may be running 620 bhp + then it won't harm, not essential but worth doing as your current HE is likely to be the original. Would also consider doing the plugs for a colder grade if not already done. Ahead of mapping do little things like cleaning out the intake system and changing the filters. Clip the flaps of the intake cradles behind your grill. Make sure you have the right belt for the pulley.

Looks big forward to seeing the progress / results.

Jules

Hi Jules
I've searched your posts and found part numbers you put up for the belt and plugs and have got them, just waiting for the ic tank coming back from the metal polishers, hopefully looks good. Spoke with John at Big Fish and he told me to do everything before I got remapped, top man who spoke a lot of sense....!
Thanks mate and good luck with the new car search....!

Lee

John mapped mine at MSL as Jerry wasn't available, he did a cracking job with the map (Jerry had done my 84mm pulley map and part mapped the 77mm) and was very impressed with the drive ability and outputs.

Jules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom