UPVC Door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CE230

Car
230CE
We have UPVC French Doors but one of them doesn't quite fit at the top and allows cold air through. The doors are about 15 years old and south facing so absorb a lot of heat during the summer months.

Is it possible to fix or does it mean I need to add a draught strip to the frame. Can't afford a replacement at the moment.

Get in touch with a local window fitting firm - I imagine that some adjustment is available otherwise a local company should be able to sort you a new sealing strip(s)

We have UPVC French Doors but one of them doesn't quite fit at the top and allows cold air through. The doors are about 15 years old and south facing so absorb a lot of heat during the summer months.

Is it possible to fix or does it mean I need to add a draught strip to the frame. Can't afford a replacement at the moment.

Stuff with wife's old stockings. **Top Tip: Make sure she takes them off first** :D

Seriosuly, what Kwakdonut said. I had a door adjusted and there is a lot more adjustment on them than you think. Maybe grabbing someone who is doing any window work locally and slipping him a few quid? The WindowMan website has also helped me in the past

HTH

agree with above - unless you can think in 3D, then do it yourself!

My wifes' aged Aunt had 1st floor patio doors onto a balcony which she hadn't even been able to shut for a year! We visited her and I managed to fix it in 10 minutes with my trusty swiss army penknife (one door had dropped - just needed raising and adjusting at the top hinge)
Cheers
Andy

Is it just a very poor fit, or has it dropped?
If it's dropped, then they're braced using wedges between the sealed unit and the frame.

There are probably better explanations, but here's one:
eBay.co.uk Guides - Brace your unit toe and heel ---or expect DOOM

As above, My door had a small gap and I got a guy round who fixed it within 10 mins...

I had a man come round last year who braced the sealed unit in the frame with wedges but the same thing has happened with the same door. :doh:

I had a man come round last year who braced the sealed unit in the frame with wedges but the same thing has happened with the same door. :doh:

Take the beads out and have a look to see if the wedges are still in place. Some doors have enough space for the wedges to slip out if say the door has slammed. If this is the case put the wedges back & secure with a blob of silicone mastic.
Otherwise adjust the hinges. Do a bit at a time as if it's part of a pair you sometimes need to adjust both to keep the locks aligned.

i have the same problem, did you fix this?

Not yet, waiting for 'er indoors to complain a bit more :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom