Upvc Windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigel cross

MB Enthusiast
Car
W164 ML350 Audi S4
I have a problem with a couple of the non opening windows,that sit ontop of the main windows. The appear to be coming out, only a slight gap but you can feel a draught. How are they held in?

Do you mean a draft between the double glazing units an the frame. The units are notmally held in by beading on one side (could be inside or out) that pops into place - check that. If the beading is external they may also be clipped or taped underneath as a security measure.

No the small windows that don't open, what holds the small frame in place.

I'm confused - think the have a termiology difference.

So the fixed (non-opening) double glazing units have a draft between them and the main frame? Not quite sure what you mean by "small frame" - the fixed units normally sit straight into the main frame (held in by beading).

Perhaps a photo?

The frame should be screwed in to the wall and the lintel above. It sounds like the top screws are missing..

The frame should also be foamed in to stop leakage, so a good idea would be to either remove the glass and screw the frame in then foam it, or just foam it as it is. The foam will hold it in and create a good seal.

The small non opening windows at sit above the opening windows
what holds them in place?

Perhaps you could post a picture?

I tihnk it depends on how the window was designed. If you have 'dummy sash' windows (so creating an even sight line across the windows, opening or not) for UPVC they effectively build an opening window but without the handles etc - which is then screwed to the metal outer frame in the same way as the opening windows. If that isn't the case they should be mounted directly in the frame with clip-in beading as Stevesy says.

If on the other hand we are all just confusing each other, then a piccie would certainly help:)

Looks like PXW was right on the money - can't say I've seen that before though. I can only imagine that it's screwed in place using screws where the sealed unit fits into the dummy frame?

As it's non-opening, then why not just run round the leaking seal with black (or maybe clear) mastic?

So, as PXW suggests, it's dummy opener (presumably for asthetic reasons). Looks like it externally beaded, so you'll probably need to pop the beading out on the outside and then remove the glazing unit to access the screws/fixings that are holding the dummy opener in place.

Problem will be that there may well be security clips under the beading the that require a special tool to release (to stop low life, simply removing the glazing to get in). With a bit of time/effort you may be able to figure out how the clips work, otherwise you'll have to track down a tool (try your nearest dodgy pub).

As it's non-opening, then why not just run round the leaking seal with black (or maybe clear) mastic?
Might not look very good inside, but you could do it with white sealant on the outside, pushed well in and smoothed nicely it should be barely noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom