Urgent computer help neede

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
Guys,
I have located the cable that connects my laptop to my flatscreen tv.

Sadly I have forgotten how to get whatever I am looking at on my laptop to play onto the lcd screen . I remember having to go into the control panel on the laptop and thats where it ends.

I have just found 'tv shack' and I am dying to watch Top Gear.

Big thanks.

i just pluged min in and it worked

is ther a short cut on your key board? looks like the diagram on the Port

CONTROL PANEL >DISPLAY>SETTINGS>ADVANCED where you go from there depends on your video/graphics board but usually you have to enable an external monitor/tv output??

Theres usually a shortcut on the keyboard Function (Fn) then one of the F keys labelled CRT/LCD in my case F8 to enable the output

On mine is Function (FN) then F5 to switch to an external screen

On your functions keys there should be a little picture that looks like two screens thats the one you need.

Also how old is the laptop and has it worked before?

Have to say my WD box linked up to the TV via HDMI then I can plug in a flash drive / hard drive almost any file format and it plays :)

Thanks guys, I did it the way Grober described it, this is how I did it before.

I would like to do it using the f8 button. I pressed that but zilch happens, is there any other buttons to press or mucking about with the TV involved?

TV Shack and UK television here we come!!:D :D :D

Modern laptops often have a designated f key to enable/switch alternative displays--- older computers- desktop and laptop often don't have this facility and must be switched via the control panel/display or a specific graphics control programme like ATI's Catalyst.

Whichever button (F5 in my case) has a picture of two screens is the key you need. However, it needs to be pressed in conjunction with another key, usually labelled Fn, for function. If yours is a branded laptop then you can look it up on t'interweb (manafacturer's site>support>manuals) or post it here for more info.

Update.

It works both ways. Using the Fn button together with the F8 button, also going through the display method.

Once again the forum helps.

your tv remote should have a "source" button,press this and "scart1","scart2"etc will appear.should have "pc". you may need to restart your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom