urgent help please asap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

white akita

hi, i have a clk 320 convertible parked outside in the rain with the roof down and windows down !
i had the car parked outside like that went out an hour later, the car started up but when i went to close the roof the car stalled and now wont restart.
the key no longer works the central locking, if i place the key in the ignition i can hear a little motor in the ignition move but the key will not turn.
the aa man has been out and checked the cars main battery and every fuse and said that they are all working fine.
the electric seats still move but only with the doors open ???
any ideas before it turns into a boat ???????

Silly question, but have you tried your spare key (assuming you have one)?

use the manual, it will have a guide as to how to close the roof in an emergency.

i dont have a spare key, i have read the manual but a special tool is needed to manually close the roof which i dont have, the aa man could not close the roof with his normal spanner.

i have just gone back out to the car to open the boot to disconnect the battery to reset the ecu but the boot no longer opens !
it was working fine for the last 2 hours i have been messing with it but now it has stopped working and the manual key only goes in half way and will not turn whatsoever.

Sorry fella - you're 200 miles from me.

I'd have brought you a tarpaulin and some bungees, as an emergency measure :(.

thanks very much for the gesture though.
i have a feeling that the key is broke.
just strange how it was running fine then just stalled and would not restart.
i only paid £1000 for the car so i probably wont get it fixed if its going to be a few hundred pounds, i will probably sell the amg wheels with new tyres and take the immaculate roof off it, strip out the black leather seats and scrap the car.

Hi,
I had same problem getting into the boot with the manual key on my S Class !
the lock seizes up with crud around the outside of the barrel, I had to use a pair of pliers on the manual key, inserted it fully into the lock and applied considerable force to open the lock! i thought the key was going to snap i had to use so much force.
incidently i sprayed the lock with wd40 with no effect.

sounds to me like a power issue? think disconnecting the batt worth a try, leave it disconnected for an hr or so.

goto a supermarket and get a cheap gazebo to keep it dry while you fix it.

sorry cant think of anything else except going to MB dealer and grovelling for a loan of the tool to close the roof??

just looked on ebay and there is a company in manchester that fixes the keys and ingition switches so i will give them a call tomorrow and see how much they will charge to come out and fix it.
i just hope it doesnt rain or get vandalised tonight or it will definatley be getting scrapped.

What year is the car and where is the vacuum pump located.
The only way to get the key to work in the boot lock is with WD40 or a penetrating oil, if you use too much force you will snap the key.

Dec

the car has now been recovered and taken to a mb independant garage who will look at it on friday.
i think the ignition lock has failed, does anyone know how much roughly it will cost ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom