URGENT HELP Required please W124 loss of Main beam from stalk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBK

Hi All,

I have an issue where I have lost the constant main beam (by pushing the indicator stalk away form the driver) I can still flash people by pulling the stalk towards the driver. Can this just be a dirty contact, if so how can I clean this. I have got hold of another stalk in case but it is from a w201 is this likely to fit?

All help will be much appreciated.

TIA

K

EDITED: Actually its more like an intermittent main beam when the stalk is pushed away from the driver.

Last edited:
Quick question If I patch into the wiring for the flasher and install a toggle switch will it pass MOT or do they require your original OEM switch to work??

TIA

K

Pretty sure its doesnt matter if your switch is OEM or not, as long as it does the task of switching on main beam when operated. I would have thought though that you probably have a bad connection at the switch so may be worth taking the steering column cowl off and having a look.

Thank you both for your replies, I will take apart the cowling tomorrow and investigate, if it is an easy fix then great, otherwise I will wire in a temp switch to pass MOT and then look into getting a good secondhand stalk.

Regards,

K

You will need to take the wheel off to get at it. The centre bolt uses a 10 mm hex drive and it is absurdly tight

You can test a replacement switch before you take the wheel off. Drop the lower dash panel on the driver's side & locate the multipin plug & socket on the horizontal bar to the right of the column. That's the MF switch plug - plug the replacement in there to test

Nick Froome

Thanks Nick for the how to, luckily I have had the wheel of the car before so the wheel shouldn't be too hard to remove, Today I have concluded that the MF switch is indeed faulty and will be on the look out for a new (used) one. In th emean time to pass MOT I have wired in a switch to control the High beams.

Thanks,

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom