Urgent Help Stuck in Salisbury W211 Auto won’t change gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scottieman

Car
Mercedes 2.8cdi W211
Hi this is a long shot but worth a try we’re towing a caravan and need
Urgent Help Stuck in Salisbury W211 Auto won’t change gear
lm told It’s probably the TCU Conductor Electronics Board which was already repaired
3 years and 10,000 miles ago.
A replacement TCU can be obtained from a company called ControlUnits in Exeter but the car is in Limp Mode.
any suggestion of anybody in the Salisbury area who can fit the replacement TCU Board and recode.

from an older post

Headlands Garage

Downton.

24, Downton Business Centre,
Parkers Cl,
Downton,
Salisbury
SP5 3RB

01725 510555

Ask for Pete the owner, ex MB mechanic of circa 15 years, has Star and is very pleasant and helpful and, more importantly, works to a very high standard. Also has a courtesy car if booked in advance

from an older post

Headlands Garage

Downton.

24, Downton Business Centre,
Parkers Cl,
Downton,
Salisbury
SP5 3RB

01725 510555

Ask for Pete the owner, ex MB mechanic of circa 15 years, has Star and is very pleasant and helpful and, more importantly, works to a very high standard. Also has a courtesy car if booked in advance
Many Thanks

Headlands Garage will only fit Genuine TCU from Mercedes in Germany ….that’s no good we need somebody that can fit a refurbished board that I can source.

The only time I tried fitting a 2nd hand TCU it wouldn't work.
I 'assumed' that it wasn't coded for the vehicle??

Maybe others can confirm that these are plug and play.

The only time I tried fitting a 2nd hand TCU it wouldn't work.
I 'assumed' that it wasn't coded for the vehicle??

Maybe others can confirm that these are plug and play.
Needs to be coded

Headlands Garage will only fit Genuine TCU from Mercedes in Germany ….that’s no good we need somebody that can fit a refurbished board that I can source.
I have used Headlands for 12 years and the owner Pete is a very straight forward chap.

As for refusing to fit the second hand part. There is a reason for that.

"Refurbished" parts are of unknown quality and are often incompatible or need recoding.

As a Garage owner how do you guarantee your work with such parts.

If possible it will be worth getting them to carry out a diagnostic check. If you have just fitted a refurbished TCU conductor plate what makes you think it has failed? You may get lucky and it is a fault that Headlands can fix for you without replacing the plate.

Needs to be coded

It does not need coded.

Towing a caravan could have ended up with high fluid temperature in the box, this could have blown components on the conductor plate.

Fit a new one, with the cost of labour, fluids etc. fitting an old one I think is a false economy.

Febi plate & plug is £106 on Amazon, add £25 for the filter, gasket and bolt set.

Last edited:
Have you checked the fluid level?

Weighing up the inconvenience vs cost have you spoken to MB Salisbury?
Might not be as bonkers as it sounds - they may have one in stock (or in the back of the parts room)

You'd at least have a benchmark cost to weigh up options to?

this was the first one to come up in my search, I am not from that area so it was all I could do for you I am afraid. Good luck in getting things sorted and back on the road, let us know how you get on.

this was the first one to come up in my search, I am not from that area so it was all I could do for you I am afraid. Good luck in getting things sorted and back on the road, let us know how you get on.
For reference.

Headlands is an excellent garage. It is true that they prefer to fit genuine MB parts only because as said, that way they can warrant the part and the work 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom