Urgent - Locked out of my C55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tudu

MB Enthusiast
Car
05 C200K Sport Edition (Kleemann)
I locked my car as normal last night and have just gone to open with the remote - won't work neither will my spare remote. Anyone any ideas?

Does it look like the car battery is dead? As you've tried both keys I assume that they are okay (check that the red light comes on the key when you hold the button for a few seconds)

Have you tried to open the car using the blade element of the key?

Has the blade resolved your issue if not then have you got the Mobilo number?

008001777 7777

Good luck
Regards
John

Thanks all. Managed to get it open but have to put the key right next to the sensor on the drivers door handle - strange as its a new key remote only had it 3 weeks. Seems both work i.e. red light comes on but nothing happens unless as i said above have to put the remote almost next to the sensor. Could it be batteries? can understand on one the older remote but not the new one.

Sounds like you've got a problem with the radio element of the system. The W203 can also unlock using IR (which sounds like what is happening here). Think there's an aerial or amp that the radio element of the unlock utilises.

I was an early adopter of the new style Chrome key but sourced mine from the US (who use a different radio frequency). My chrome key only works in a way similar to the way you describe, i.e. using IR but not Radio. Can you try moving a little further away from the car (but remain in sight of the drivers the door handle) and try lock / unlock to help prove my theory. E.g. my Chrome key won't unlock from the passenger side or the front of the vehicle, so I still use my original keys almost all the time!

Sounds like you've got a problem with the radio element of the system. The W203 can also unlock using IR (which sounds like what is happening here). Think there's an aerial or amp that the radio element of the unlock utilises.

I was an early adopter of the new style Chrome key but sourced mine from the US (who use a different radio frequency). My chrome key only works in a way similar to the way you describe, i.e. using IR but not Radio. Can you try moving a little further away from the car (but remain in sight of the drivers the door handle) and try lock / unlock to help prove my theory. E.g. my Chrome key won't unlock from the passenger side or the front of the vehicle, so I still use my original keys almost all the time!

The new chrome remote was supplied by MB Exeter, but the original remote does the same thing, only works about 6 inches away from the sensor.

Drive the car and try it somewhere else - it *might* just be radio interference.

However prob more likely to be a car problem (unlikely to be key if both do the same).

Drive the car and try it somewhere else - it *might* just be radio interference.

However prob more likely to be a car problem (unlikely to be key if both do the same).

Just got back from a 20 minute drive - parked up. Car locked and unlocked but still had to stand right next to the drivers door. Will get it checked out at MB Plymouth in the morning as i was hoping to leave for London first thing.

Hi,
I think if it was my C43 I would try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, In my understanding effectively rebooting the electronics of the car, worth a try and costs nothing.

Hi,
I think if it was my C43 I would try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, In my understanding effectively rebooting the electronics of the car, worth a try and costs nothing.

Thanks. But not really happy to try that might make matters worse. Wont i loose all my star codes etc?

Thanks. But not really happy to try that might make matters worse. Wont i loose all my star codes etc?

Just a thought. I was working in HMP Exeter today, and had to pass through a security scanner about 8 times. The bling remote was in my pocket. Could that have been a cause for the problem?

I thought it started yesterday. I doubt the scanner caused it but I don't they pass objects like that round the scanner normally.? Not sure as I normally avoid prison..:rolleyes: ;)

Hello

The scanner you mentioned 'could' be the problem?

A few years ago my dad went over to Germany to collect a car (another marque) and stayed in a hotel, went to pay after 3 or 4 days and none of his cards worked.

Not one, something somehow had made them unusable. He's away again at the mo otherwise I would ask him. It casued a real pain as you can imagine not having a huge amount of euros.

So it could be similar?

Think it's quite likely to be the aerial / antenna that receives the radio signal from the car or some interference at the location you were at. I doubt that the scanner or anything else has caused the problem with your key.

I think a member on here had a similar problem a while back, although I think his was caused by some modding after replacing the rear SAM. Like I say I believe there are two ways of operation for the key IR & Radio. My theory is that yours is only working on IR at the moment.

To confirm my theory have you tried unlocking from the other side or the front of the vehicle?

Think it's quite likely to be the aerial / antenna that receives the radio signal from the car or some interference at the location you were at. I doubt that the scanner or anything else has caused the problem with your key.

I think a member on here had a similar problem a while back, although I think his was caused by some modding after replacing the rear SAM. Like I say I believe there are two ways of operation for the key IR & Radio. My theory is that yours is only working on IR at the moment.

To confirm my theory have you tried unlocking from the other side or the front of the vehicle?

Just got back from London. Took car into MB Exeter on Friday afternoon on the way. MB reckon because i have had the windows tinted it has interfered with the radio signal, so probably need new antenna (under the headlining) 3 hour job. I can only open the car from the drivers side but it takes a good few tries on the remote (pressing key red light comes on) even to get it to open that way as well. Took about 5 mins to get it to open after i had parked at a service station on the way back - right pain in the neck. My C200K has the same window tint and i have never had any problems with the remote even though it was done well over a year ago. Strange that one works and the C55 doesn't.

MB reckon because i have had the windows tinted it has interfered with the radio signal
That doesn't smell right to me. I know this may sound daft, but upen all the windows then try locking / unlocking with the key fob. If it works OK then maybe the dealer's right. If not, then I smell BS...

That doesn't smell right to me. I know this may sound daft, but upen all the windows then try locking / unlocking with the key fob. If it works OK then maybe the dealer's right. If not, then I smell BS...
I was going to suggest something similar and have maybe the doors open.

We saw Jeremy Clarkson put the remote to his head and that increased the range so maybe a flimsy coating of tint might decrease it??

Good luck anyway
Regars
John

Doesn't sound right to me either, I've got tints on mine and that doesn't cause any problems with my lock / unlocking.

I can't see any way in which a window tint could effect radio signals anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom