Urgent, permanent glasses wearers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

What is your experience with modern reactions lenses?

I've got an eye test and am going to order new glasses at 3pm so doing some last minute research.

I've pretty much ruled out polarisation because while with OLED displays and most good LCD displays they're fine, some older or cheaper LCDs appear black in them, which won't cut it in my job.

I'm undecided on reactions though. I'm aware they won't work very well or at all while driving because the windscreen cuts most of the UV that activates the reaction, but I don't see that as a reason not to get them, because if I don't, that'll be the situation anyway.

I'd like to be able to be in bright sunlight without squinting.

I wear 1 pair of glasses every waking moment, so need to be sure.

Thanks.

I haven't tried them in a good few years but I suspect the fundamental flaw (for me) is still there in that they darken in normal daylight, rather than just bright sunlight. So you're walking along on an overcast but fairly bright day looking like a member of the Mafia. Then you go into a shop and they take a minute or so to clear. Not for me - I prefer prescription sunglasses that I can switch to when necessary. Both are a compromise of course.

I have a separate pair of prescription Raybans.

Same frame, same prescription, different tint.

I have a separate pair of prescription Raybans.

Same frame, same prescription, different tint.

I generally buy glasses in pairs - one with clear lenses and one with dark. Many opticians do discounts/offers that make the second pair a lot cheaper (or even free).

Reactions: LTD
My prescription is so strong that I have to pay a fortune for very high index lenses so that they’re not very thick and don’t make me look all googly eyed. So prescription sunglasses aren’t ideal as they’d either be very thick or very expensive.

I know they take longer to brighten than to darken, so worried about walking into a building out of the sunlight and being blind or having to take them off, as they never leave my face unless I’m asleep.

I have worn prescription glasses for a number of years with reaction lenses and yes, they do not work while driving. The windscreen on most, if not all cars provides UV protection so the reaction lenses will not darken. For this reason when ordering glasses, I look for a 2 for one deal and have the second pair with dark lenses which I keep in the car. Having said the above, I recently had a new pair of glasses and apparently there is a reaction lens that can be worn in cars which will darken, but, in the opticians words "mega bucks" I didn't even ask how mega :D

Do not use polarised lenses, they are not good in cars as they show up all the stresses in the windscreen which make it almost impossible to see through.

Awesome. I’ll enquire. I’ve a budget of around £300 for lenses alone, so I’ll ask about costs for the fancy new reactions over the standard if they do it.

One clear anti glare pair of prescription Oakleys and one Raybans prescription tinted sunglasses.

My prescription is so strong that I have to pay a fortune for very high index lenses so that they’re not very thick and don’t make me look all googly eyed. So prescription sunglasses aren’t ideal as they’d either be very thick or very expensive.

I know they take longer to brighten than to darken, so worried about walking into a building out of the sunlight and being blind or having to take them off, as they never leave my face unless I’m asleep.
Mike check this at the store. My Mrs has -6 on both eyes and her lenses are not much thicker (if at all) compared to mine of -1.5. Some years ago it was the case but not now.

I've been wearing reaction prescription lenses for years as my only pair of permanent glasses. They do the job. No discomfort. No worries about walking into buildings coming out of bright light. Very convenient when you hit bright sunlight without having to change glasses. I would recommend them. I don't think you need to worry about it being your only pair.

Think about it, if you were wearing dark glasses indoors, you can still see where you are going. It's just that everything looks darker. Back in '80s, everyone wore sunglasses indoors because it was cool.

Having said all that, my eyes have become too sensitive to sunlight plus old age, I now have to wear polarised lenses for driving long distances. This now works great. No eye strain/tiredness when doing long journeys.

Or .....

cocoon_flip_up.jpg

The last pair of reactolite/lenses I had from Specsavers after about 3/4 years stopped reacting and became patchy, unclear, took them back was told " you've been wearing them in too much sun." You couldn't make it up, unbelievable, I posted on here at the time. Fast forward to yesterday, we're back in Spain, went into town Specsavers with with the prescription sunglasses I bought after the reactions drama, because the lenses have become scratchy and misty, They said, " It's the antiscratch lense protection that has scratches on and is breaking down," I said, " well as anti scratch protection it's a failure" he agreed, but said " don't worry sir we have a solution with a special solution, to clearoff all the old coating, which. "sometimes" works, but if it does,nt you haven't lost any thing, because you cant wear them like this anyway. I thought " never mind the £175 I'd paid for them 2 years ago". So, this morning he rang saying all was good, the solution had done a grand job, so we drove into town and got them, and I must say they are fine, no more anti scratch for me thank you, and no charge from Specsavers. And you know what they can do with their Reactolites! Not for me. :thumb:

I started a thread some time back regarding the wearing of sunglasses while driving at night.
Anything higher than a Cat 0 tint and it's a legal no-no with a Cat 4 being illegal for daytime driving also...

Driving in sunglasses | AA

Bunch of Specky you know whats...:p:p:p:p:p:p

Had my eye test last year, have to get one every year now seeing as I'm type two... was asked "Read the smallest lettering you can please?" I replied "Made in Surrey England" ..."where does it say that?" "Right down the very bottom.." My Long sight is perfect and was advised it won't change now, but my near sight is shot.. need reading glasses..:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom