Urgent, permanent glasses wearers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cat 4 being pretty much welding/brazing goggles. You'd like to think nobody would be that stupid :wallbash:

Do you know who sells these?

Russ

I use reactorlite lenses for my main glasses, secondary are dark tinted for sunbathing/bobbing around in the pool.

The reactorlite tint nicely in the car, all you have to do is lower your roof to let the natural sunlight in (make sure you wear sun lotion though).

If you find that your reactorlite lenses are not tinting in the car you need to ask the optician for a prescription for a convertible, preferably one with a V8 or V12 fitted [emoji6][emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hi,
Bit of lateral thinking - just carry one of those UV “black” lamps/torches in the car - you can get them for checking banknotes.
Type “uv torch” on Amazon UK and they can be bought for £4.99
Just wave it in front of your glasses for a few seconds and they go dark - then drive!
Cheers
Steve

So what did you opt for in the end Mike? Or can’t you read this anymore? :)

I wear Reactolites all the time and find them a reasonable, but not fantastic, compromise with my varifocal lenses. I often take them off for a short while just after walking into a building on a sunny day because without them I can still see enough not to bump into anything and I don’t want to look a plonker wearing dark glasses indoors. I’ve found with previous pairs that as they get older the recovery time takes longer and they don’t clear quite so well.

So as someone who can’t be bothered with changing glasses all the time, they’re the best I can expect. I don’t have any issues with them not darkening when I’m driving because when I bought my car I specified an amazing option: a sun visor.

The entire "what glasses to get" subject really requires some expertise?

I am a long time wearer of spectacles through need and not fashion or want but do add in lumps of these when choosing which ones I want to get. I now find that RayBan Wayfarers on prescription fit all three criteria and the frames outlast the lenses. MY last foray into 'buying new specs' saw me veer away from RayBans and into "what I thought were fashionable and suited". Whatever happened they have just not worked and I blame this on my ignorance and lack of help, expertise & guidance from the High Street Optician. Who now happily tell me that "my frames" are not suited for my needs (multi lens varifocals" This means I am constantly faffing around them on my head and never really get comfortable to the point I could with the RayBans (that I want to go back to).

The local optician(s) drove me potty with inside language that I just did not really understand (but thought I did). Multiply this by X2 as I signed fr two pairs of thee useless things that are equally as bas as each other (but in different styles and shapes of frames). The optician refuses to accept that they are just not right and keeps telling me that theey will "settle" down as my eyes adjust? Really. I suspect that it so that they will run out of warranty that may have seen me able to replace them?.

So I need/want a pair of glasses for general everyday wear (this includes reading & TV as well as driving). My thought is still with reactolites as they will give me the Sun Factor that I like and the everyday usage factor that I need to have?

So I know the lens that I want. I suspect that I need a new prescription (who is best suited for doing just that?) I know that I want reactolites and do not believe, these affect vision in varifocals?

I have bought a new pair of varifocal glasses with reactolite lenses, the third pair in the last 6/7 years.
I wear 30 day contact lenses normally which give me the best distance vision , use readers for close work.
My prescription is strong in right eye so I always invest extra in the best ' thin ' lenses I can get, last pair were £ 375, just for the lenses. Unfortunately Zeiss lenses do not cover my latest prescription as they are really good and have been very happy with them previously. Important that the frame is not too small from top to bottom of the lenses as you loose reading ability. Practicality before pure fashion, a good optician will advise you.
Never had a problem with reactolite lenses, if arriving indoor on a very sunny day have been known to remove specs for a minute to adjust to the change but it is never a problem.
Driving usually with lenses but reactolite glasses not a problem for me

When I bought my latest glasses from Specsavers I opted for the best triple varifocals they had because I tend to use my eyes a lot when I’m awake. I know they were expensive (can’t remember exactly how much) but I find that they’re excellent, particularly for peripheral vision where I know that cheaper lenses suffer. Specsavers’ current varifocal lenses cost between £49 and £159, so quite a range.

I wish I could do without specs completely, but I’m far too much of a chicken to run the risk of laser treatment, no matter how unlikely we’re told that problems are.

I got reactions, will see how I get on!

I got 35% thinning, which is the middle option. I couldn’t have the reactions if I went for the highest 50% thinning.

Anti reflective coating of course.

£330, including the most thorough eye health examination I’ve ever had. About 6 different machines/processes. Very sophisticated.

I couldn’t cope with the whole 2nd pair thing. I’ve tried before, but no two lenses are the same and swapping one pair for the other, I have to do the whole adjustment phase every time.

I’m not fussed about the reactions not tinting in the car, because I’ve never worn sunglasses for driving anyway, so I’m not really losing out.

What does bother me is being out in the sun in blindingly bright day and ending up with face ache through squinting the whole time. The £70 option should save me from that.

Thanks everyone, I’ll update when they arrive and give my impressions of them.

I’ve been wearing glasses every waking moment for 27 of my 30 years, so new glasses time is pretty exciting. :D

Reactions: LTD
18izigcmhiu5tjpg.jpg

One reason that any reactolite type lenses may affect vision is down to the pinhole effect. Light passing thro a narrow pinhole is essentially "focussed" without a lens. If the iris in your eye opens in response to lack of light [ due to a darkened spectacle lens say] it makes it harder for the eye lens to focus the light on the retina at the back of the eye blurring the image slightly. Among other things its why your eyes go blearly after the optician puts drops in to dilate the pupil in order to see the retina in detail. Proof of this can be gleaned from your ability to manufacture a set of "glasses" with your fingers if you have forgotten yours by making a temporary pinhole. your field of vision is much reduced but you will be able to read a line of text that would otherwise appear blurred. Remove your glasses find a line of text on a page you can't read. then try making a pinhole with your fingers-it has to be quite small- you will now probably be able to read it a line at a time. Try it and see.
https://lifehacker.com/5992896/create-in-a-pinch-reading-glasses-with-your-fingers

Im aware of the pinhole effect, but that’d be the same with any subglassses. I don’t get blurred vision with sunglasses though, so should be ok. :thumb:

Lol, not quite. Here's a pic of my current specs. You can see my left eye is worse than the right. This is with the same middle level thinning applied. £120's worth!

These old ones have extensive repairs. Soldered the nose rest arm back on as it broke off at the top of the apex. The frames are those bendy type you can tie in knots, but the hinges aren't! So heat shrink sleeving too...

Itching for my new ones already. :D

E9_AA5_D21-42_CB-443_C-_B5_C1-_A1_C497_B59457.jpg

I have a spare pair of strong (3 dioptre) reading glass at work that have had the heat shrink treatment to cure a floppy hinge. Worked a treat.

I experience evidence of the pin hole effect every day. If I'm reading a book out in the sunshine, pupils are dialted so I need only the weakest 1.0 dioptre reading glasses. When I come inside I need 1.5 dioptre.

Have you considered laser eye surgery?

Have you considered laser eye surgery?

No because I'd still need glasses afterwards. It won't fix all of my vision issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom