Urgent, permanent glasses wearers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got the specks!

I also got the chance to take some pictures of my old lenses, around 10 years of abuse. Coatings flaking away, anti-reflective coating completely faded away, big visible scratches and basically scoured. I cleaned them properly before taking these pics, so this is the state of the lenses, not dirt.

First pics are left and right lenses with no flash, then left and right lenses with flash to light up the scratches. Crazy huh.

(Click any for full size, close view) :eek::oops:

Putting the new ones on was like having new eyes. My prescription has gotten a little stronger, as I've gained a decade in age, being almost 30 now. Contrast is so much better and colours are richer. Mainly though, I don't have "no go" areas of the lenses anymore. The new ones are the best lenses I've had to be honest, crystal clear from edge to edge. My knackered old ones always had visual aberrations towards the edges, which I put down to the level of thinning applied.

I'm a happy boy.

PS. I tested them with a near infrared (purple) laser pointer, and that tints them instantly, you can "write" on the lenses with tinting. lol So given windscreens block UV light, and so these particular reactions lenses don't work in the car, I've ordered a small UV blacklight (UVA, long-wave, the same kind penetrates the ozone layer and triggers the lenses) which I should be able to switch on and put somewhere on the dash to trigger the tinting, when it's sunny enough to need it. It won't need to be in my line of sight, just line of sight of the lenses, maybe sat on the steering boss. Will update on how successful that is... :cool:

Last edited:
I've ordered a small UV blacklight (UVA, long-wave, the same kind penetrates the ozone layer and triggers the lenses) which I should be able to switch on and put somewhere on the dash to trigger the tinting, when it's sunny enough to need it. It won't need to be in my line of sight, just line of sight of the lenses, maybe sat on the steering boss. Will update on how successful that is... :cool:
e63c691428bfaf730e1c5a6bc6355c88.jpg

lol it's about 4w, so I should be ok. ;)

I'm not even sure it'll tint them, there's probably way more than 4w of the sun's UVA still coming through the screen, but worth a shot for the few quid it cost. :)

PS. I tested them with a near infrared (purple) laser pointer, and that tints them instantly, you can "write" on the lenses with tinting. lol So given windscreens block UV light, and so these particular reactions lenses don't work in the car, I've ordered a small UV blacklight (UVA, long-wave, the same kind penetrates the ozone layer and triggers the lenses) which I should be able to switch on and put somewhere on the dash to trigger the tinting, when it's sunny enough to need it. It won't need to be in my line of sight, just line of sight of the lenses, maybe sat on the steering boss. Will update on how successful that is... :cool:

Priceless :)

lol it's about 4w, so I should be ok. ;)

I'm not even sure it'll tint them, there's probably way more than 4w of the sun's UVA still coming through the screen, but worth a shot for the few quid it cost. :)
Try opening your sunroof - that should let plenty uv light in

I would If I had one! Had a sunroof on my RX8 and liked it very much. You can have a sunroof open at much higher speeds than you can have a window open, and oddly, can hear the zausts louder through the sunroof than through a window (maybe because of the aforementioned less wind noise)

It was sunny on my commute home today and I noticed that they do tint down a bit. It's so gradual, you can't tell unless you look at yourself in the RVM. So the UV filtering of the screen isn't 100%. Maybe the little UV lamp I've ordered will serve as an optional boost to the tint level if I want it.

They tint further if you open a window, but I realised I'm driving like I've got no air-con and getting my ear-drum sucked out...

Update.

The UV lamp arrived... The bad news is it's not nearly powerful enough to work... As you can see they've tinted a little in the middle where there's maximum exposure to the bulb as in, light coming from the left and the right, but not at the edges where they're only getting hit from one angle.

So I doubt it'll make a bit of difference in the car at distance, but I'll give it a go.

ULTf_Oouj_QPOOAUln_ZTLb_Cw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom