Urgent redundancy advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Assuming there's nothing else behind the scenes, it seems as though this business is having to reduce it's headcount in order to maximise it's chances of survival for employees and shareholders who remain.

Therefore whether it's the guy that's this topic of this thread or one of his colleagues, then one (or more?) of them must be made redundant. So the question is, which selection criteria should be used?

If another selection criteria enabled this guy to remain in post, then by definition it will mean redundancy for someone else, and they too could claim it's not fair. So where would it end?

Once you get to appeals, tribunals, lawyers, etc it makes a difficult situation even worse for everyone involved, and inevitabley it doesn't actually make things better - just a possibility of a slightly enhanced package at best.

I hope it gets resolved to the satisfaction of everyone involved soon.

the criteria being used is revenue per full time employee in the case of the Scottish guy it is half of his english counterparts but can this be used as objective criteria as the demographics of Scotland are different to those of England and the opportunity to increase revenue is just not there?

Well if you can't use this criterion then if you have a chain of shops and one is not making money you couldn't close it down.

From a business perspective it's a no brainer. You keep the people who make money and let go those who don't. Otherwise you have to shed even more people in the long term.

The problem is in a large organisation making the assessment as to who actually earns money for you. They don't alwaysb get that part right.

I totally agree with everything you say and he has now taken control and realised that he controls his own destiny. He is off to the Citizens Advice on Monday and then probably an employment lawyer depending on the outcome, thanks for the above it is appreciated

This is the best thing he can do .. I do believe that if the number being made redundant is under 20 then no consultation is needed - if over 20 then one month is required -- but that may have well changed. I do know when I was made redundant I enquired why I hadn't been consulted (company take-over) for a role and why all the roles were going to the buying company's employees. -- ended up with a sizeable payment and the need to sign an agreement....plus the company paying for my solicitor....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom