[SOLVED] Urgent - Should I buy a ne turbocharger this evening?

Discussion in 'Engine' started by tim.100, Jul 10, 2011.

1. tim.100

tim.100 Active Member

Car:
    202&463
    I've been checking my Land Rover Td5 thoroughly turbo ahead of drive to Berlin in 12 days time.

Radial play on the turbo is visible - I reckon 1-2mm. Generally turbo radial play is supposed to be 0.1mm at most.

It's so bad that by pushing and pulling the shaft one can see the blades moving across the housing.

I can't take the car to a garage until next weekend - so I have to choose whether to order a new turbo now, or risk the Berlin drive in this state.

Turbo: £400+fitting
    RAC European breakdown: £130!
    Do nothing: £0/a heck of a lot!

Advice welcome. I'd order a brand new turbo from Paddock Spares if I want it for Saturday.

Regards

Tim

2. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    You could get an exchange turbo, unless you want to fork out full whack for a new unit.

3. OP
    OP
    tim.100

tim.100 Active Member

Car:
    202&463
    I could, but if I buy a new turbo I will sell on the old one (with a caution)

But where to get a decent exchange turbo?

4. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    There's these guys in blackpool:

Turbo parts, spares & rebuild parts

I'll be using them to give my turbo the once over before I put it in my car.....

If you courier your old unit up to them they will send out another unit like for like. I'd ring them up first though.

5. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    If they don't have one, then it might be better sticking to your original plan, seeing as you dont have alot of time before you go.

6. GlenQ

GlenQ Active Member

Car:
    2004 W220 S320 CDI
    I heartily recommend Midland Turbo:thumb:

Home | Midland Turbo

They did a reconditioned turbo for me for my previous 2005 Range Rover Vogue with a fast turnaround. Give them a call.

BTW

I have no affiliation with the above company, just a satisfied customer.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Try leaving the engine idling for 5-10 minutes then rev it up. If the turbo is suspect it will pass a lot of oil creating a large blue smoke cloud.

1 person likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    tim.100

tim.100 Active Member

Car:
    202&463
    Thanks Dieselman - The engine is running fine, and there is no blue smoke. But the radial play is really substantial - I can't test it dynamically but everything I have read says that is not necessary.

I bought the car with 70k miles and a less than perfect service history - it now has 95k miles.

9. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Id get it sorted this week with a few days to test afterwards before you go, it would bug me!

10. donubenz

donubenz Active Member

Car:
    w211 r230
    Hi,
    Just my two cents,
    Even if you take out insurance you still have a worn Turbo that will need changing. Bite the bullet and swap it before you go. Safe trip.
    Don

11. OP
    OP
    tim.100

tim.100 Active Member

Car:
    202&463
    I've bitten the bullet and spend £450 on a new one. No one-else could guarantee the correct one in stock. Booked in for transplant on Saturday. I'll blast the nuts with PlusGas in the interim.

Car that cost £35k new so I expect & budget for high running costs. Shame there's no V12 option on the Discovery - although, just like the CL600, the V8 Disco often upsets people who pay pennies for that model!!!! .

Thanks for all the input, even though was for a Land Rover. My W202 is a 5-clyinder 2500cc Turbodiesel too!