Urgent tiling advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Morning all
My parents were visiting last night and they brought some photos with them, to show me the progress of how the Bathstore are getting on fitting their new bathroom. I was shocked to see the ceramic floor tiles, with electric underfloor heating, being laid over OSB. Am I correct saying this is strictly a no no as the OSB will cause the tiles to lift and crack as it will not be stable enough with regards to expansion and contraction due to the fact it has been laid in a bathroom? The floor tiles will be finished this morning. Would it be unreasonable for me to complain and insist WBP ply or marine ply is laid as a floor lining? This would involve breaking up the tiles and wreaking the underfloor heating, but hey, that's their problem? Everything including the workmanship comes with a fiver year guarantee, however to have the floor ripped up and replaced would surely be a lot more hassle for all concerned at a later date. Am I being unreasonable here, or is OSB ok to use in this situation? What would you do?

I understand your concern but suggest you do some research into OSB. Unless they specified plywood I doubt they will relay it free of charge, unless the material used is not fit for purpose. I don't understand why it is less stable than plywood, if the correct grade has been used. The type of adhesive used and its flexibility is also important when it comes to the long term stability of the tiles.

Might be worthwhile asking what grade of OSB they're using.

This from Wiki...

OSB is used heavily in housing construction
OSB is a material with high mechanical properties that make it particularly suitable for load-bearing applications in construction.[1] The most common uses are as sheathing in walls, flooring, and roof decking. For exterior wall applications, panels are available with a radiant-barrier layer pre-laminated to one side; this eases installation and increases energy performance of the building envelope. OSB also sees some use in furniture production.

OSB2 is a precision-engineered board for structural use in load-bearing dry conditions. It is a versatile alternative to plywood, it is ideal for a variety of uses from temporary fencing (site hoarding) to display stands, sheds to shelving.[2]

OSB3 is a precision-engineered structural board for use in load-bearing humid conditions. OSB3 is suitable for: timber frame housing; flat and pitched roofs; wall sheathing; flooring; portable buildings; caravans; and agricultural buildings.[3]

I understand your concern but suggest you do some research into OSB. Unless they specified plywood I doubt they will relay it free of charge, unless the material used is not fit for purpose. I don't understand why it is less stable than plywood, if the correct grade has been used. The type of adhesive used and its flexibility is also important when it comes to the long term stability of the tiles.

Just checked the contract, and it details that a plywood subfloor is to be laid.

I thought hardy backer board was the way to go ? , hope it gets sorted :thumb:

Bathstore is the no no......should never have crossed their threshold.

I know that does not help your parents but for the benefit of others.

Mic

I've used osb as a backer for wall tiles in the past and it failed. Initial movement causes grout to crack which lets in water & the osb expands.

I've also had to put right a wet room which a bathstore contractor c0cked up. Involved removal of everything they fitted & starting from scratch.

As plywood is in the contract, that is the minimum you should expect - ask for marine ply - in a bathroom it's only going to be a few quid more than wbp - volunteer to pay the difference if they will not accept.

There are better backing boards as mentioned above, but often levels are critical, not allowing the use of some of the thicker boards.

Well the contractors were not happy but within an hour of a phone to bathstore the floor tiles were ripped up along with the OSB and an hour later sheets of ply were delivered. New tiles ordered at their expense as they had not adhered to the contract and what my parents had paid for. In all fairness Bathstore responded immediately, sent their surveyor round and the problem is now sorted. I'm not entirely sure what type of ply they delivered but it's definitely ply. The job comes with a five year warranty against all components and workmanship so they are covered in that respect. I very much appreciate all your informative comments and the Mother will now sleep better tonight!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom