URGENT !!!!! w203 c32 boot lock problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billy albert

Car
2001 C32 AMG
this morning boot was fine, went out later opened the boot by the handle and it make a mental machine gun noise, does it everytime handle is pulled or the interior button is pressed . also cant shut the boot now. Please help as cant close boot.

Bill

If you do succeed in locking the boot and then find you can’t open it again you may be in bigger trouble.
Before you precede any further you should treat the lock with WD 40 and insure that the key operates the lock and that the lock isn’t seized.

If you have fold down rear seats then open them in case you need to enter the boot if the key in the lock doesn’t work.

Also remove the boot inner lining so as to get access to all the lock parts and then lock the boot with the fob while the boot lid open so you can observe what’s at fault.

A picture of the situation could be useful if you can put one up.

Dec

Doesn't open with emergency key anymore like it used to only opens with handle and button on fob and interior button , but makes a machine gun sound and stops it should just click open without sound . Really struggle to shut boot so while it shut I am leaving it shut. Unless someone knows what's happening . Do I need a new lock if its machine gunning and don't shut or is it something else electrical in the car ?

There seems to be a motor in the bottom part of the lock, as the motor is working, perhaps the white plastic gears are broken.
See, example…Fits BENZ Trunk lock actuator repair parts - Hong Mei Trading Co., Ltd.
Also…Trunk Won't Open Electronically - MBWorld.org Forums

Dec

i recon i will get a lock from the breaker rather than trying to fix this one, just something else **** that merc put on their cars. You dont recon it the handle part then ??

What exactly happens when u slam the boot shut?
Does it latch and then spring open again?

Dec

What exactly happens when u slam the boot shut?
Does it latch and then spring open again?

Dec

i slam it about 100 times and manage to shut it eventually, its got to be linked to the machine gunning and the fact i can no longer open with metal key.

The whole lock is in 2 parts, connected by cable, its likely to be the top part, in picture below that’s the problem , think it has a motor inside it.

If you disconnected the wires to it then you MIGHT? be able to lock the boot… HOWEVER, you might not be abla to open the boot again if your key doesn’t work in the lock keyhole… that’s why I asked if the rear seats fold down so you can get into the boot if you cant open it if you did manage to lock it.

w203 boot lock | eBay

$T2eC16J,!yME9s5qF22FBRZr07yncw~~60_12.JPG

Dec

Last edited:
The whole lock is in 2 parts, connected by cable, its likely to be the top part, in picture below that’s the problem , think it has a motor inside it.

If you disconnected the wires to it then you MIGHT? be able to lock the boot… HOWEVER, you might not be abla to open the boot again if your key doesn’t work in the lock keyhole… that’s why I asked if the rear seats fold down so you can get into the boot if you cant open it if you did manage to lock it.

w203 boot lock | eBay

$T2eC16J,!yME9s5qF22FBRZr07yncw~~60_12.JPG

DEc

cheers for that , i have folding seats how would that help

Below picture from link above. That’s the part that’s likely to be the problem.

Dec
HGG8011-01.jpg

If you do succeed in locking the boot and then find you can’t open it again you may be in bigger trouble.
Before you precede any further you should treat the lock with WD 40 and insure that the key operates the lock and that the lock isn’t seized.

If you have fold down rear seats then open them in case you need to enter the boot if the key in the lock doesn’t work.
Also remove the boot inner lining so as to get access to all the lock parts and then lock the boot with the fob while the boot lid open so you can observe what’s at fault.

A picture of the situation could be useful if you can put one up.

Dec

As you have a faulty lock then it might not open so follow the advise above, that way you will be able to trip the lock from inside the car if the lock ever fails to open the boot.

Dec

In case someone else finds this thread, I repaired the broken lug on the gear quite easily. Once you have the lock mechanism loose (no need to disconnect cable), pry off the black plastic cover, pull the motor out, pull out the upper pin by pushing the plastic housing inwards near the pin and grabbing it with pliers (you may need to cut away a little plastic either side of the pin end to get a good grip) then push the lower pin out via the small access hole at the back and remove the gear with the broken lugs. Glue the lug(s) back on with epoxy and while the epoxy is still not set, screw in some small screws from the other side to reinforce this weak design. This is likely to last longer than a new gear or complete new mechanism! I could only find one loose lug inside the mechanism so used a plastic button from the end of a ball-point pen (cut to size.)

In case someone else finds this thread, I repaired the broken lug on the gear quite easily. Once you have the lock mechanism loose (no need to disconnect cable), pry off the black plastic cover, pull the motor out, pull out the upper pin by pushing the plastic housing inwards near the pin and grabbing it with pliers (you may need to cut away a little plastic either side of the pin end to get a good grip) then push the lower pin out via the small access hole at the back and remove the gear with the broken lugs. Glue the lug(s) back on with epoxy and while the epoxy is still not set, screw in some small screws from the other side to reinforce this weak design. This is likely to last longer than a new gear or complete new mechanism! I could only find one loose lug inside the mechanism so used a plastic button from the end of a ball-point pen (cut to size.)
Thank you derekw3 and everyone on this forum. I was able to repair my broken boot lock today on C180 2003 model. Working super as before,, of course after over a year of using emergency key

I have the same issue in my 2001 C180, thanks for info guys, just new to the MB world so everything helps

Also check/file the latch and hook smooth

Just a follow up as my lock gear lugs broke off again after a year (sheared the thin steel screws I used.) I realise now that the reason those lugs shear off is that the steel "hook" in the latch mechanism wears down and mine had a ridge which made it hard to smoothly release the steel loop below. I filed off the ridge and cleaned up the sharp edges on the loop so that the mechanism can rotate smoothly (plus lubed it with grease.) Works fine now and will hopefully last a few years.

Buddy where did u get the 4 wire connector?
I've a w203 second time changing the lock however the new part I got as 4 pins.

I asked for the connector when ordering from breaker..and re wired it to work..found instructions online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom