URGENTish - yellow engine light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c220cdi2010

Car
c220
Hello,
gf has just kindly informed me a light is on in the car.
turn on ign and can see the engine management light is lit.
head to merc and they are now shut.

my obdii bluetooth won't read the merc ecu (did on mzda & Seat all ok) and so a tad stuck.
checked oil and seems ok.

what can i do at this point to ensure safe driving before saturday when i can fork out for a proper scan at stealer.

anyone know if this will work on our car:
New Mini Auto Car ELM327 OBD2 OBDII V1.5 Bluetooth Diagnostic Scanner Tool | eBay

also checked the messages on the dash thingy and says 0messages

do not know anyone with a scanner either

Thanks for anything,
Neil

Firstly, how is it driving? Has it gone into limp mode? If not, there are numerous faults that could activate the yellow engine management light which would not harm the engine/gearbox if driven. e.g. exhaust temperature sensors.

if it has FSH you can call mobilio and they should be able to tell you whats wrong

Giantvanman - seemed to drive ok, too scared to give a 'proper' run out. How do i know its in limp mode?

Alps - 2nd hand and still inside the 3mmonth warranty thing but need to book in with them and then wait in there place all day for them to think they may want to scan it - never again from these people

Neil

Giantvanman - seemed to drive ok, too scared to give a 'proper' run out. How do i know its in limp mode?

Limp mode is restricted power so it can be driven with low revs and at low speed. To know, you would need to drive it to see if it doesn't accelerate as well or freely (feels sluggish) and it won't let you go quickly/drive normally under power.

EDIT: How true this part is, I don't know. I was told that if it really is dire, the message screen between the clocks virtually shouts at you, telling you to get to a garage/stop driving or something similar. Please do not take that as gospel unless confirmed or refuted as applicable!

Last edited:
Your OBD reader should be able to scan for and read the fault code at least. OBD is a standard for generic fault codes. Have you excluded a problem with your OBD reader?

MB are generally good at reporting specific and urgent issues via the cluster, as said the engine management light is non specific and could be many things but often relates to an emission level or sensor value being out of specification.

Your OBD reader should be able to scan for and read the fault code at least. OBD is a standard for generic fault codes. Have you excluded a problem with your OBD reader?

MB are generally good at reporting specific and urgent issues via the cluster, as said the engine management light is non specific and could be many things but often relates to an emission level or sensor value being out of specification.

Tried driving mine with the parking brake on once as forgot about it (never use it normally but had been working on it)

It "really" lets you know about serious problems. Red circles, bleeps etc. Very hard to ignore.

Try driving yours more than a few yards with brake on, and see wether the warnings go red?
At least you will know if there is a major problem, and what the display is likely to do.

Neil

right, went for a spin and all was ok.
spoke with a mate who spoke with a mate and we were able to do a scan.
x1 error:
P2080 - exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit range/performance bank 1 sensor 1

which i think should be ok and the car be safe enough to drive and get sorter next week.

Thanks all for help, appreciated at times like this.
Neil

That's good news. At least it is a minor thing and not something to play on your mind over Christmas.

I had the same light come on a couple of weeks ago. My dealer wasn't able to get in in to check until after that weekend. But I was already committed to a 500 mile round trip at the weekend so I crossed my fingers and went for it. Other than the light remaining on all the time there was no problem. When it was eventually checked by MB they said it was a faulty "knock sensor", but they didn't stock it so I had to book another day to get it done. That didn't solve the problem, which they now reported as a faulty temperature sensor. So another wait before it was eventually done, a week after I first went in to report it.

So from my one experience I would say don't worry. As has been said already, the serious issues get flagged up with red lights and messages. Just enjoy your Christmas.

thanks knighterrant, reassuring that is.

garage has already changed a faulty temp sensor, or did they as no way i would know....

I drove from Redruth to Bristol with the engine management light on, no damage caused and no problems, my problem was with the bare pedal sensor. Yellow id normally only warning, red is sort it in my book:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom