USA cancels all flights to and from the EU for a month

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
Well, that's one thing I thought would never happen in my lifetime.

Can't begin to get my head around the commercial implications of this.

Trump halts travel from Europe to US

Yes Trump puts the US first cannot blame him,trade can still go on,like others I see people routing themselves through the UK to get to the US,but it is up to us to stop this.

I suspect that US immigration will know if an European passport holder has routed through the UK and will react accordingly
Cue even longer waits at immigration

I suspect that US immigration will know if an European passport holder has routed through the UK and will react accordingly

I can’t imagine there will be a great deal of travellers to check, I think the world is waking up, or being scared into, taking action to combat this virus.

My thought is that the general population will start taking there own measures based on the continued bombardment from the media.

Im not sure what to believe, on one hand the virus only badly hits a very small proportion of the people it visits, on the other hand the world needs to stop rotating, presumably to protect that small proportion?

...Im not sure what to believe, on one hand the virus only badly hits a very small proportion of the people it visits, on the other hand the world needs to stop rotating, presumably to protect that small proportion?

It's about striking a balance, obviously. If it wasn't, we would all be in complete lockdown since December.

The aim is to spread the disease over as long a period as possible. There's no point in adding to the death toll also those who would have recovered with treatment but can't be treated due to lack of medical resources (which is what is currently happening in Italy, and explains in part their higher mortality rate).

Additionally, with time treatments will improve and become more effective, saving more lives, and potentially a vaccine will be developed at some point. The result is that survival rate will likeky go up over time. 'Delay' is a very sensitive strategy.

I can’t imagine there will be a great deal of travellers to check, I think the world is waking up, or being scared into, taking action to combat this virus.

My thought is that the general population will start taking there own measures based on the continued bombardment from the media.

Im not sure what to believe, on one hand the virus only badly hits a very small proportion of the people it visits, on the other hand the world needs to stop rotating, presumably to protect that small proportion?
It's about striking a balance, obviously. If it wasn't, we would all be in complete lockdown since December.

The aim is to spread the disease over as long a period as possible. There's no point in adding to the death toll also those who would have recovered with treatment but can't be treated due to lack of medical resources (which is what is currently happening in Italy, and explains in part their higher mortality rate).

Additionally, with time treatments will improve and become more effective, saving more lives, and potentially a vaccine will be developed at some point. The result is that survival rate will likeky go up over time. 'Delay' is a very sensitive strategy.

Thank you, makes sense

The virus kills about 20 times more people who get it than flu. If the numbers rise...

Just read on another forum about someone's friends just got back from Italy, landed at airport got on a train!! It's stupid behaviour like this that is spreading it. Selfish or what!

TRUMP's carefully calibrated response is designed to strengthen his political standing domestically rather than protect the US citizenry, unless there's evidence that the non-Shengen area corona virus is any different from its Shengen brethern. His first statement that the ban would also include goods as well as individuals-predictably withdrawn several hours later - was a freudian slip revealing the inherent anti European economic bias behind this politically mediated response. Would Trump use a pending pandemic crisis to further his particular political ambition- ---- does a bear sh*t in the woods?

Last edited:
Just read on another forum about someone's friends just got back from Italy, landed at airport got on a train!! It's stupid behaviour like this that is spreading it. Selfish or what!

I know what you are saying here, but please enlighten us as to how these selfish folk were supposed to get home? :dk:

Reactions: m80
TRUMP's carefully calibrated response is designed to strengthen his political standing domestically rather than protect the US citizenry, unless there's evidence that the non-Shengen area corona virus is any different from its Shengen brethern. His first statement that the ban would also include goods as well as individuals-predictably withdrawn several hours later - was a freudian slip revealing the inherent anti European economic bias behind this politically mediated response. Would Trump use a pending pandemic crisis to further his particular political ambition- ---- does a bear sh*t in the woods?

Would China use a pandemic to increase its surveillance of citizens via a mobile phone app that tracks their every movement? Bears, shits, woods, etc.

I thought the virus in America would go away, because Trump has told it to.

Well, that's one thing I thought would never happen in my lifetime.

Can't begin to get my head around the commercial implications of this.

Trump halts travel from Europe to US

In my world of work we've been hurtling towards this scenario over the last few days at an ever-accelerating rate.

My office was evacuated yesterday as the partner of one of the employees has returned from a conference in the States where 2 people have tested positive. He's got some form of flu and is being tested.

I was talking to a customer in NY last week and the city was approaching corporate lockdown even then.

Just off the phone with a colleage in Singapore - they've been locked down for weeks.

My Italian cleaner is here telling me about how bad it is in Italy at the moment.

So I guess I'm not going to the football on Saturday, then :-(

They would need a British or Irish passport.

Exactly: that's the small print evasion to the ban, and that'll be a tiny tiny percentage.

At first glance they would seem less likely to have been in Shengen. (Unless Homeland Security is so clever these days that they can see all EU, and UK movements through the ports)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom