USA Mercs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterS

Car
Mercedes C240 Sport
Can't help but notice that with the current exchange rate against the US Dollar at approx 1.85, this makes US Mercs and Porcshes seem very cheap.

Does anybody know what is invloved in importing a US Merc or Porsche, and are there any pitfalls one should be aware of ??

Thanks

I've seen new Porche 911's advertised in the states for USD 80,000 - thats £44,000 in our money - compare that to UK prices !!

Okay so it's LHD, but so what when you have this kind of saving !!

PeterS said:
Can't help but notice that with the current exchange rate against the US Dollar at approx 1.85, this makes US Mercs and Porcshes seem very cheap.

Does anybody know what is invloved in importing a US Merc or Porsche, and are there any pitfalls one should be aware of ??

Thanks

IMPORT TAX. It'll kill the deal.

Dieselman said:
IMPORT TAX. It'll kill the deal.

How much is import tax ? cause i can buy a brans new hummer for about £29k :D

$ sign swopped for a £ sign

fuzzer said:
How much is import tax ? cause i can buy a brans new hummer for about £29k :D

Whenever I buy things in from the States I assume the final UK price will end up as the the US price with the $ sign swopped for a £ sign! I'm not usually far out.

I've seen new Porche 911's advertised in the states for USD 80,000 - thats £44,000 in our money
Wouldn't you deduct the US version of VAT from that then add 17.5%, our VAT to it.
Then would you have import tax as well ??

Aletank said:
Wouldn't you deduct the US version of VAT from that then add 17.5%, our VAT to it.
Then would you have import tax as well ??

Be carefull going on the prices you see advertised for cars in the states. The 'Sticker' price they quote is often ex delivery and State Taxes, so can seem very cheap. As well as type approval (its US Spec with loads of extra emission gear), fitting right hand lights etc, the other big cost would be shipping it. It would need to be shipped via container… we're talking a lot of money here.

Last edited:
Having a Jaguar classic car and using the jag-lovers forum you get to find out a bit about how things work out there. Generally things are cheaper, I buy parts for my car and get them shipped over here, only relatively small items.
If you were to buy a car from there it would cost in the region of at least £3-4000 to ship it back, then you have VAT @17.5% import tax is 6%. You would have to have RHD lights and it would have to pass an SVA test before it could be registered. The car would have to be insured for the trip over as well.

Dave

vito113 said:
Be carefull going on the prices you see advertised for cars in the states. The 'Sticker' price they quote is often ex delivery and State Taxes, so can seem very cheap. As well as type approval (its US Spec with loads of extra emission gear), fitting right hand lights etc, the other big cost would be shipping it. It would need to be shipped via container… we're talking a lot of money here.

And they don't come in Silver!

Motard said:
Try one first Fuzzer, they are awful bloody things!

Bob

But having stood beside one on the base, wow! with something this big you know you will ALWAYS have right of way!

vito113 said:
But having stood beside one on the base, wow! with something this big you know you will ALWAYS have right of way!
Yeah, but he's talking about the H2, which is just a rebodied Chevy Tahoe and not the military/agricultural vehicle you're thinking of! :)

Motard said:
Try one first Fuzzer, they are awful bloody things!

Bob

I did drive one during the summer and yes everything even in NY did move out the way of this huge black beast :D

Ohh , and it was the H2 which can still make an E class look like a scalextric car :) :p

Lol :) here is the beast in question :)

DSCN0292.jpg

It's still a monster!

Shude said:
Yeah, but he's talking about the H2, which is just a rebodied Chevy Tahoe and not the military/agricultural vehicle you're thinking of! :)

That's a shame, mind you, the Tahoe is still a monster!

Ohh , to give you an idea of the size of the H2 . The grey car to the left of the picture is about the same size as an X5 :crazy:

Shude said:

It was the latter I was referring to, hated it, haven't tried a H2. Can't imagine ever wanting to either but if I did I would wear a disguise lol.

Bob

Motard said:
Can't imagine ever wanting to either but if I did I would wear a disguise lol.

Well Bob I had noticed that most users wear camouflage and Ski Goggles!

…you don't want a hummer

fuzzer said:
Ohh , to give you an idea of the size of the H2 . The grey car to the left of the picture is about the same size as an X5 :crazy:

I think perhaps this might be more suitable Jason. It has the right badge, it's also available as a cabriolet and it has a full range of manufacturers approved accessories (ok so the machine guns may be a problem for the MOT!)

http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/vehicles/daimler_chrysler/daimler_chrysler5.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom