USA to UK money transfers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KennyN

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Me - BMW 440i Coupe / Dog -Cayenne
Folks, needing a bit of advice regarding the above.

Son (Scott) is in Asheville (S Carolina) at the moment and coming to the end of a three month football coaching session at one of the Summer camps. On completion he will be getting paid via a cheque which he can then cash at the local Bank of America , however he is going to NY for three days on his way home and we don't want him carrying that amount of $$$ with him , he has been told that he cannot pay the cheque into a his UK bank directly from a US bank which we find strange - does anyone know if this is correct.

Cheers - Kenny

A UK bank is highly unlikely to accept a $ cheque from a US bank .. 2 different systems and currencies (unless you have a $ account in a UK bank). If they accept it, they will charge a lot in fees.

the local Bank of America will be able to send the $ (converted into £) to the UK bank account - you will need the UK bank account's IBAN or SWIFT codes; these should be on your bank statement. If not, ask your bank.

the exchange rate offered by Bank of America might not be as good as the money transfer apps. Maybe his colleagues have such apps and can send the money for him.

^ See answer above.

As a one off just use BOA and swallow whatever the FX rate is.

You'll need both the IBAN and SWIFT/BIC plus the full postal address of the branch at which son banks in the UK.

The IBAN Swift/BIC can generally be found on your regular UK bank statement and is made up of a jumble of numbers that identify the UK bank, the sort code and account number.

There are alternatives such as FX brokers etc most of which will require lots of ID and a protracted period of time to set up an account to comply with international money laundering laws.

So in short Pay in cheque to BOA, ask BOA to do an international transfer to UK account, provide them with what they want/fill in forms, job done.

What BOA have said is they cannot pay his cheque in as he had no account with them , they can cash it though.

All his banking details are at home and we are in Menorca ATM , however we are home before he leaves so we can get any details he needs.

Another option would be for us to transfer the ££ and he can pay the US cheque into his account when he comes home.

K

What BOA have said is they cannot pay his cheque in as he had no account with them , they can cash it though.

All his banking details are at home and we are in Menorca ATM , however we are home before he leaves so we can get any details he needs.

Another option would be for us to transfer the ££ and he can pay the US cheque into his account when he comes home.

K
He won't be able to pay a US $ check (americanism) into a UK sterling bank account.

His only choice then is to cash it and as already suggested, get a trusted frieed who does have a US bank account to do the transfer to his UK account.

Various Nigerian princes with large amounts of cash to give away seem to favour western union.
Anybody have any experience of this method?

Are there any U.K. banks in New York that could help?

The National Bank of Greece had a branch in Canon St that we’re very helpful when I was in England and my wife was in Greece.

Can he open an account with the BOA, pay the cheque in and then do a transfer to his U.K. account?

Last edited:
Are there any U.K. banks in New York that could help?

Can he open an account with the BOA, pay the cheque in and then do a transfer to his U.K. account?

He will be leaving in a week so no real time to open an account , plus the only docs he has with him is his passport and I don't think that will be enough.

I will enquire about UK banks in NY.

K

You can pay a us check in your name into certain uk bank accounts. Lloyds have done it for me. You need to ask to check.
May be an issue if it’s made out to cash.
Western Union will take cash and transfer it to a uk bank if you are short of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom