USB connection to Audio20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwladok5

Car
C220d
Can anyone confirm that an "ordinary" USB lead will be ok to connect my smartphone to the Audio20?

MB are telling me you need their "special" lead but I can't find one anywhere!!

It will connect to charge but not to play music, but that will play over bluetooth. A USB stick will play music when plugged in.

I don't know I'm afraid, my 2013 audio 20 doesn't have internet access. I'm sure someone will be along who has the same system, I would have internet connection would be achieved by making your mobile a hotspot and tethering the system to it, but as I say mine is not the same.

Thanks, so are you saying connecting the phone to USB will not enhance the Internet function which I can't get to work?
What model and what year is your car?

It's a W205 then (not W204).

Do you know if it's an early facelift model, or a late pre-facelift?

The reason for asking is that the W205 facelift will have Apple CarPlay which should come-up when your iPhone is connected to the USB port.

(The pre-facelift did not have Apply CarPlay).

Do you know if it's an early facelift model, or a late pre-facelift?

The reason for asking is that the W205 facelift will have Apple CarPlay which should come-up when your iPhone is connected to the USB port.

(The pre-facelift did not have Apply CarPlay).
The vehicle log book says Type 204 variant R40RP0 version CZAA0474

The vehicle log book says Type 204 variant R40RP0 version CZAA0474
Can you post the first part on the VIN? E.g.: WDD2050312Axxxxxx.

I don't know I'm afraid, my 2013 audio 20 doesn't have internet access. I'm sure someone will be along who has the same system, I would have internet connection would be achieved by making your mobile a hotspot and tethering the system to it, but as I say mine is not the same.

My 2016 W205 does have internet, but you have to use "Bluetooth tethering" on your phone (if it has it). It does work, but is so slow it is virtually useless. It will not work if you try to use normal phone hotspot tethering.

Thanks for all responses so far. To read a fellow MB owner saying "its virtually useless" is not good news, especially for cars like ours! I have a friend with a A160 where the internet connection through her iphone works as sweet as a nut! I'm building up to contact MB Stuttgart! If its offered on the menu then it should work; its like having a radio that only just plays radio 1 (god forbid)

Hi there,I have an A45 with audio 20 I connect my phone (IPhone XS) via usb, I only use the standard apple cable that came with the phone although there are two usb slots in the arm rest and only one connects to audio the other just charges the phone it does have apple CarPlay though but only via the cable.

Hi there,I have an A45 with audio 20 I connect my phone (IPhone XS) via usb, I only use the standard apple cable that came with the phone although there are two usb slots in the arm rest and only one connects to audio the other just charges the phone it does have apple CarPlay though but only via the cable.
Hi! Yes, I believe that's what happens on my friends A160 - some of the phones app icons appear on the MB screen & can be accessed through the car ie. Spotify

The first MB dealer told me my phone wasn't compatible; later contradicted by MB HO in Milton Keynes. My mate's brand new Samsung S9+ didn't work either.

Hi! Yes, I believe that's what happens on my friends A160 - some of the phones app icons appear on the MB screen & can be accessed through the car ie. Spotify

The first MB dealer told me my phone wasn't compatible; later contradicted by MB HO in Milton Keynes. My mate's brand new Samsung S9+ didn't work either.

The S9 definitely has Bluetooth tethering, which is a different menu to Mobile hotspot tethering. It will not give you access to your phone apps, but will let you use the MB internet menu on the audio 20 setup screen, but as advised it is painfully slow.

**LATEST NEWS!***

Following an email to customer services MB Stuttgart, I have now received a call from someone who knows!

It wont work in my car; 2018 MB models have a tie-in with Apple so through the Appleplay app, those can use their Iphones with the car. Android is not supported full stop.

Also, my car, although registered in 2018 is a 2017 model & Audio20 will not support the function iphone/android/any phone full stop.

I did question why the system shows Internet when you can't access it but got no response.

I'm going to see what happens when I sign up to the "internet radio" function, but I can forget anything else.

Shame but there it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom