USB devices for cold conditions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210 Fan

MB Enthusiast
Car
W140 S500L W208 430
hi guys,

I have a head unit (Panasonic CQ-RX300N) with a USB port on it, I have a PNY USB stick in it and with the current weather conditions the drive will loose where it was in the song and keep restarting until the temperature rises in the car and then its all ok, do we think this is a problem with the temp range of the stick, I have been looking for some sticks/drives designed for cold weather but to no avail, does anybody have any ideas or could it be the head unit?

Try a quick spray of swich cleaner on the USB plug/socket contacts. Sounds like a dodgy connection to me. That or possibly a faulty stick.
I doubt very much whether its anything to do with the operational temperature of either the stick or the unit. Most car units are designed for use in at least -10degC conditions.

Cheers Dave,

I have looked at the specs of a few sticks and they are only rated down to 0deg, even the `tough` ones, all seems fine until its cold and the stick performs faultlessly everywhere else, just not in cold conditions which is what pointed me to the temperature, you get the similar problems with LCD screens in the cold, they get very slow and lazy, I was wondering if the memory on the sticks was the same??

you get the similar problems with LCD screens in the cold, they get very slow and lazy, I was wondering if the memory on the sticks was the same??

The problem with LCDs is down to the chemistry of the display itself and nothing to do with the electronics.

I wouldn't expect a memory stick to be affected by anything that you could achieve in our climate unless there was a fault with its construction (internal condensation or a dry joint).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom