USB Hubs:(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
We have tried adding a PCMIA card hub to my laptop and the hard drive attached to wont start to copy then crash. we also added 4 port hubs to two other computers (via the existing USB port) and they didnt work either. Do USB ports need some special magic to actually work??

They are normally plug & play AFAIK. Some devices won't work on a hub though ... they need to be directly plugged into a real USB port.

BTB 500 said:
They are normally plug & play AFAIK. Some devices won't work on a hub though ... they need to be directly plugged into a real USB port.

Normally this is the case when the USB device needs a bit of current to run. USB spec. for power is 500mA at 5V per port - if you plug a hub in the power supply gets "diluted", sometimes even if you just plug one device into the hub (the thin wires ofthen used in USB cable can cause voltage drop).

Some USB hubs have an external power supply to overcome this, plug in the external supply and it should then supply the full 5V/500mA to each port.

HTH

Cheers,

Gaz

OK. Progress made, I tried a powered hub and it works.

Next problem what do i need to get USB2 connection speeds on my laptop?

R2D2 said:
Next problem what do i need to get USB2 connection speeds on my laptop?

Simple - you need USB2 ports. Don't know a lot about laptops, but I installed a 4-port USB2 card in my old desktop PC.

You will need to get a POWERED usb hub - and configured to use the external power source.

The power supplied through the USB port maybe adequate to light up the lights won't be enough to drive everything as well.

Also plug the things in one at a time, and try plugging them directly on their own as well to establish they are all functioning properly before connecting up together through the hub.

The HUB is just a junction box - literally...

Just read through the whole thread - powered hub fixed the initial issue...

USB2 speed will only be attained through USB2 compliant ports, hubs and devices... ie everything has to be USB2 compliant to get the throughput.

If the hub is USB and the rest is USB2, it will all resolve to USB speeds.

Most of the NEWER laptops/pc's all have/are USB2 compliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom