USB Wi-Fi adaptors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJH

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180k for Wifey, SEAT Leon TSi
My Voyager 205 router has both ethernet and USB ports. The ethernet port is already in use for 2 existing PCs via a 3com hub.

If I buy 2 USB network adaptors and plug 1 into the router and the other into a laptop, will that establish a wireless link to the laptop?

BELKIN F5D7050UK WIRELESS 54G USB NETWORKING ADAPTER

Or MUST I use a wireless router ?

Last edited:
You must use a wireless router.

I suggest you buy a modem / router. This will replace your Voyager. The router can connect to one PC vis the RJ45 network port. You configure it and can then either connect 3 more PC's via RJ45 network cables or as many PC's as you want wirelessly.

Netgear, Belkin and Dlink are easy to setup.

Also ensure if you do go wireless secujrity is setup on the router to stop other people hacking into your broadband. The above routers all come with instructions.

Graham

To follow on from bunny55's comments, avoid Belkin. They're overly expensive and I've seen so many network-related problems with Belkin devices come through our helpdesk at work (even though we don't officially support our users' home networks).

Also avoid Linksys - have had a number of their devices fail on me after about 5 years' service.

If it was me going for a home or small office network, I'd go with the Netgear DG834G. It costs around £50-£60 including VAT, and is one of the best on the market for handling ADSL2+ / ADSL MAX; as well as its other features.

Regardless of whichever device you choose, make sure it supports WPA or WPA2 for wireless encryption. The older WEP encryption is very easy to break nowadays - it takes just under 3 minutes to break a WEP128 key on an "average" PC.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom