USB2 Problems Since Disc Format

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
Why since I formatted my hard disc does my PC no longer recognise that I have USB2 ports? I get the massage that, 'this device can perform faster when connected to a USB2 connection'. But they already are fitted to the bank of USB2 ports that l fitted myself.

The devices are indeed performing slower than they used to. The worst offender is my netgear wireless dongle. It used to run at 100mbps and now only runs at 54mbps on a good day. The main PC connected via Ethernet to the homehub has a download speed of over 10 meg whilst my PC has 4 meg at best.

How do i get my PC to recognise the USB2 ports?

Last edited:
If you have a drivers disc for your motherboard, reinstall the USB drivers. They got wiped when you formatted your HDD.

If you don't have a driver disc, visit the website of the motherboard manufacturer and hunt around for them there.

Also have a look in Device Manager, check that there are no warnings or errors (i.e. "devices that are not working correctly") and find the correct drivers to install for these.

Quite often with hardware problems like this the best drivers for particular devices are deleted or corrupted for some reason. The system then "repairs" them with generic drivers from the Microsoft operating system. Quite often these work "after a fashion" but with limited functionality- which sounds like what's happened to you. You may find you have to remove these "inferior drivers" before manually installing the correct drivers for your USB ports. As has been said this is best done through the System/Hardware/ Device manager section of the Control Panel. :thumb: If you have any system backup discs that came with the system you might find them there---failing that online is your best bet.

Last edited:
or try first remove from device manager the usb device records and do a rescan and let windows to try reinstall them....USB2 is a standard so the built-in one should work....but dont forget this is Windows.... :)

The 100Mb is the max (usually between computers on LAN) and the 54Mb is an other standard for wireless connection. only n-type protocoll can works faster that 54Mbit/s.

the actual download speed again an other story which is depend on the server, the traffic of the route between the server and your pc....

But according to your message the problem is somewhere on the drivers....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom