Use of mobile speed cameras getting silly on motorways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tlbham

Car
2001 CLK430
It's long been silly in built up areas, but the amount of times I now see police sat on bridges over motorways, trying to catch speeders, is getting really irritating.

Long gone are the days when I could rip up the M40 (for example), safe in the knowledge that you never saw police with cameras on there. It just didn't make sense for them... The M40 is not very busy outside rush hour, for the most part straight or with long sweeping turns, and I'd say over 75% of people using it do 85mph or above anyway (so less danger of piling into each other).

The last 10 times I have travelled on it, EVERY time there was a cop, on a bridge, with a camera. Cue heavy breaking all round and some poor sod getting caught no doubt. Luckily, never me.:bannana:

Until now, it was always a nice and relaxing drive on the M40. Now, you're on edge the whole journey for fear of not noticing the fuzz until it's too late. It irks me, and it's JUST DUMB. :wallbash:

There is the safety issue: a bunch of people doing 90 or so, then the first car in a queue slamming on the achors to avoid getting caught, thereby causing an accident. It's going to take a cop sat on a bridge causing a fatal pile-up for this to stop. Because what they're doing is not going to make everyone slow down.

There is the previous point about that motorway's traffic levels, etc.

There is the fact that speeding in built up areas is WAY more dangerous and would be a better use of cops with speed cameras' time.

There is the fact that speed differences are so much less on the motorway than in built up areas, where you could be doing a legal 30 in a 30 and have a closing speed of 40 as you hit a turning car. Go into the back of a car doing 60 when you are doing 85, and it's a lower closing speed. Plus there is minimal front-on collision danger.

IT IS JUST PLAIN STUPID. Rant over.

Having said all that, now I own a nice car for once, I've found myself doing 79 on cruise most of the time (as far as I know, you need to go faster for a ticket) - I've too much to lose now and there are just too many of the b******* around.

Are they police officers or speed camera partnerships who predominantly employ civilians?

Speed camera partnership vans are normally manned by traffic cops on overtime.

Not in sunny south wales ( and as it's an all wales partnership probably the same all over wales), they are civilians, all the police officers got kicked off the camera vans back into other posts about 12 months ago leaving all 'civilians' in the vans.

And here was me thinking the speed limit was 70mph:doh:

I tried driving at 70mph, but the drag from everyone else whizzing past me soon had me back up 75.

I've just had a few weeks driving in France so I've had my fix of happy motoring for a while.

The M40 - in my limited experience of the road has always been a very high speed run and traffic levels pretty low facilitating safe driving at speeds in excess of 70mph. A memory of the M40 that sticks out for me was I was going along a 70mph in lane 1, and an AA rescue van towing a car overtaking me. The speeds in lane 2 and 3 of vehicles passing me made driving at 70mph seem very slow, and dangerous as they were approaching from behind so much faster. 85-90mph felt safer and more in keeping with how that road works.

So, its all about money, and nothing about safety. Gordon is broke, and will think up sly ways to catch us. Its ridiculous and needs to stop.

Not in sunny south wales ( and as it's an all wales partnership probably the same all over wales), they are civilians, all the police officers got kicked off the camera vans back into other posts about 12 months ago leaving all 'civilians' in the vans.

Speed camera partnership vans are normally manned by traffic cops on overtime.

The reason in the North that SCP Vans are not manned by civilians is they don't have the same exemptions as those manned by police officers. This creates some very nice loopholes to get you off your speeding charge, as Mr Nick Freeman will tell you.

If all your vans are manned by civilians take notice of where and how they are parked, the road they are parked on, KSI's for that road, there are very strict guidelines for civilian manned vans which a lot of operators fall foul of not being traffic officers and not knowing the RTA.

Last edited:
The M40 - in my limited experience of the road has always been a very high speed run and traffic levels pretty low facilitating safe driving at speeds in excess of 70mph. A memory of the M40 that sticks out for me was I was going along a 70mph in lane 1, and an AA rescue van towing a car overtaking me. The speeds in lane 2 and 3 of vehicles passing me made driving at 70mph seem very slow, and dangerous as they were approaching from behind so much faster. 85-90mph felt safer and more in keeping with how that road works.

So, its all about money, and nothing about safety. Gordon is broke, and will think up sly ways to catch us. Its ridiculous and needs to stop.

Exactly....I'd just add that if I do 70, to overtake people doing 60 without holding up people in the middle lane I need to put my foot down....EATING fuel. I get much better economy doing 85 on cruise than trying to stick to 70. So speeding saves the environment :rolleyes:.

The reason in the North that SCP Vans are not manned by civilians is they don't have the same exemptions as those manned by police officers. This creates some very nice loopholes to get you off your speeding charge, as Mr Nick Freeman will tell you.
There's also the question of whether or not a civilian can for the purposes of securing a convistion form the opinion that a vehicle is travelling at a speed in excess of the posted limit (as is required in law; the speed measuring device only provides the corroborative evidence), but as I understand it that matter is still awaiting a High Court test case.

And here was me thinking the speed limit was 70mph:doh:
Fair point. I'd argue 70 made sense on motorways in the years before widespread use of what we have today:
-radial tyres
-ABS
-disc brakes
-centre brake lights
-modern asphalt
-central reservation barriers
-good drainage
-improved driver training

I would never argue that the national speed limit should go up nationally - there are plenty of fog-plagued or hilly/curvy motorways where you could even make a case for reduction from 70. However, on a quiet bit of the M40 in the middle of Oxfordshire, on the sections which is literally straight as a ruler for 4 miles, 70 just feels silly.

I reckon the M40 probably has the highest average speed of any UK motorway.

Heading South, it's fast down to Junction 9 at Bicester and Oxford North. At that point it seems to turn into Wacky Races!!

Motorway traffic accelerates hard having been slowed by queueing traffic exiting the motorway, and the drivers joining the motorway from the slip road seem to be aiming for warp factor 5.3 to be able to merge with traffic.

Maybe the Police presence is to reduce that average speed a touch?

Fair point. I'd argue 70 made sense on motorways in the years before widespread use of what we have today:
-radial tyres
-ABS
-disc brakes
-centre brake lights
-modern asphalt
-central reservation barriers
-good drainage
-improved driver training

I would never argue that the national speed limit should go up nationally - there are plenty of fog-plagued or hilly/curvy motorways where you could even make a case for reduction from 70. However, on a quiet bit of the M40 in the middle of Oxfordshire, on the sections which is literally straight as a ruler for 4 miles, 70 just feels silly.

I completely agree cars are much safer but the STANDARD OF DRIVING IS THE PROBLEM THAT NEEDS ADDRESSED FIRST.

Too many young idiots/old farts/white van men on missions and ***** on mobile phones......
Oh...and too many idiots that do not understand lane discipline......
And too many people not leaving enough space on front of them.....
And so on.......
The cars can be made a s safe as ever but their is still person "piloting" it

Besides....all the bloody tree huggers will shout and ball at the excess polution if we are all going faster.
It's a no win argument im afraid!!!
Unless you move to Germany for a few years and get it out your system :bannana:.....before they implement full time speed restrictions.....and believe me they will.:doh:

Yes Glen, germany is fast in decline and soon they'll be no limitless fun. I am surprised the orwelian EU has not killed off that pleasure....

Actually Bobby Dazzler, I recollect from memory the M74 and A74(M) have the highest average speeds in the UK with an average speed per vehicle of over 70mph. No other motorway can claim this. Its usually a fairly quiet stretch of road and on my way down I had no difficultly holding nearly 100mph for the bulk of that section of road. Even the 40 can bog down a bit due to higher traffic levels, especially near brum and London.

Actually Bobby Dazzler, I recollect from memory the M74 and A74(M) have the highest average speeds in the UK with an average speed per vehicle of over 70mph. No other motorway can claim this.

Just think how much higher it would be if Druk and SilverSaloon didn't tow their caravans, diluting the average!! :D

My boss lives just North of Glasgow. We have a deal. He's flexible with me going away wherever and whenever, providing that I never cross the border with the caravan on the back!! :D

One of the highest accident rates, not the highest Andy-whats the motorway with the highest level of road traffic incident rate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom