Used Becker Map Pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Just under 3 years ago bought a new Becker.
As I remember, on unpacking, the unit is connected to computer & the interweb to Beckers website.
Registration takes place with e-mail address & password.
Latest maps are downloaded & installed on the unit.

The car is being returned to MB soon & Becker is no longer needed so it will be sold.

Don't want to do a factory reset (if such an option exists) as this would delete the installed maps which are of value to the buyer.

Buyer may want to update the 3 year old maps but to do this would need my e-mail address & password.

I'm thinking of reconnecting the unit to Beckers website & changing the e-mail address to a disposable one with a new password which I can give to the buyer.

Anyone else either bought or sold a used Becker and how did you deal with this?

Others can say, but mine came with the maps pre-loaded; what you then do is update the maps to the current version.

I don't think doing a factory reset will delete the maps, but it will remove your personal data which is what you want.

Ernie

Piff said:
Just under 3 years ago bought a new Becker. As I remember, on unpacking, the unit is connected to computer & the interweb to Beckers website. Registration takes place with e-mail address & password. Latest maps are downloaded & installed on the unit. The car is being returned to MB soon & Becker is no longer needed so it will be sold. Don't want to do a factory reset (if such an option exists) as this would delete the installed maps which are of value to the buyer. Buyer may want to update the 3 year old maps but to do this would need my e-mail address & password. I'm thinking of reconnecting the unit to Beckers website & changing the e-mail address to a disposable one with a new password which I can give to the buyer. Anyone else either bought or sold a used Becker and how did you deal with this?

I sold the wife's Becker before Christmas and I too wanted to in register it from my details however be careful.

On connecting to the computer and it running a check, the Becker points out your software is out of date. So I updated it as recommended, however on doing so it then says the installed maps are no longer supported by the system software and thus made unit useless unless you pay £100 for new maps.

I couldn't even re-install previously purchased maps as these to are no longer compatible.

Don't update the software is my advice. You can remove your details from the unit though.

You can remove your details from the unit though.
How?
Obviously I can delete route history easily enough.
If I don't update the software on connection, will I get the option to change the password & e-mail address?

I purchased a second hand Becker just before Xmas & was not sure about how to register a previously registered unit. I emailed Becker & they said to just go to their website & register, which I did no problem & updated the software. As I see it your personal details are not stored on the unit itself only on the Becker website, as I had no access to the previous owners personal information.

I sold the wife's Becker before Christmas and I too wanted to in register it from my details however be careful.

On connecting to the computer and it running a check, the Becker points out your software is out of date. So I updated it as recommended, however on doing so it then says the installed maps are no longer supported by the system software and thus made unit useless unless you pay £100 for new maps.

I couldn't even re-install previously purchased maps as these to are no longer compatible.

Don't update the software is my advice. You can remove your details from the unit though.

When you connect to your computer, does the software not back up the system before you do any updating, thereby allowing you to revert to original when it all goes pear shaped? I don't have mine now, but I'm sure my system was backed up before any changes made.

Ernie

Our 2012 Becker will also be up for grabs as from tomorrow.

I was just going to list it on eBay unless anyone here would like it.

Ant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom