Used Car headache.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

salfordmerc

Car
C200
Hi all,
Looking for a used merc been doing me head in if im honest, the criteria is this, from her who knows best of course,
9 grand max, probs c class 4 door, a good level of kit. I'm forever on Autotrader and the difference in the level of trim to go for has me all over the place. Would I be better phoning merc dealer putting in my request and wait for them to get back to me? as we don't mind waiting for the right deal.If any of you could recommend where to buy from,I'm in manchester area

If your in Salford visit the new Merc garage at side of M60 at Stockport. I’m sure they can source you stock.

Opt for the facelift W204 (2011-2014).

The Executive SE will have a soft ride and 16" wheels, and 4-spoke steering wheel.

The Sport (and 'AMG-Line') will have lowered stiffened suspension, 17" wheels with low-profile tyres, spoiler kit all around, 'bucket'-type sport front seats, and 3-spoke steering wheel. It will also have brushed aluminium trim bits.

In either case the engine and transmission will be the same, I.e. the Sport variants have sportier handling but same performance as the Executive SE.

If opting for petrol, go for 2013-2014 C180 with the newer M274 engine, and not pre-2013 cars with the older M271 engine that can be problematic with its failing timing gear.

If opting for Diesel, there's C200, C220, and C250 to choose from. But check if Manchester will be introducing ULEZ like in London...

Most will be automatic (7G-Tronic Plus), though there are also some 6-speed manuals about.

Nice option include:

- Bi-Xenon (HID) / ILS

- Real leather (very rare, most are Artico)

- COMAND Navigation (as opposed to the standard Audio20 with Becker Map Pilot)

- Logic 7 Harnan Kardon Sound System

- Reversing camera

- Speed Sign Recognition

- Heated front seats

- Dual sunroof, or panoramic glass roof

- Luxury pack, including puddle lights, footwell illumination, and door handle illumination

- Electrically folding mirrors

- Split-folding rear seat (not a standard feature)

- Driver Aids Pack: Distronic, Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot Assist (very rare on a W204)

Last edited:
Hi all,
Looking for a used merc been doing me head in if im honest, the criteria is this, from her who knows best of course,
9 grand max, probs c class 4 door, a good level of kit. I'm forever on Autotrader and the difference in the level of trim to go for has me all over the place. Would I be better phoning merc dealer putting in my request and wait for them to get back to me? as we don't mind waiting for the right deal.If any of you could recommend where to buy from,I'm in manchester area

TBH, asking a dealer for suggestions would be the last thing I'd do - pardon my cynicism but they would probably suggest what they want to shift, not what you want!

I'd second contacting @jaymanek at Mercland. As straight as they come and usually has some great cars in. A lot of his stock is bought from Merc aficionados such as people on this forum, so normally well looked after. Only in Nuneaton, so not that far (and he'll collect at the station if that suits you)

Last edited:
Hi all,

Hi Salfordmerc, I certainly wouldn't wish to step on the toes of Mercland if they are already engaged in helping you secure the vehicle you are after. Should that not work out and you were to consider an E Class (E350 Ed 125), I will be selling mine this week on the site and happy to send details ? Kind regards - Mark

Real leather , Xenons , and privacy glass is highly desirable .
I think that privacy glass was a factory option on the W204? If it was, it will be very rare.

Be aware that Comand on the facelift 204 is NTG4.5 so updating the maps requires a PIN from the MB mainframe plus the DVD's, so you're looking at a main dealer or certain indies (like comand.co.uk) to be able to do the update, and it'll cost over £100! Pre-facelift 204 Comand is NTG4 where there's no PIN needed, just the DVD's - and they are re-useable thus available "second hand" on Ebay and the like, much cheaper and a DIY job. However, beware Comand where the build date is earlier than 11/08 as the nav partition on these can only update as far as V12 2014-15, and correcting this problem to get the latest maps is £600 from comand.co.uk!!

I've also always found it difficult to judge how close to a wall I am when parking the 204 nose in - parktronic would be high on my list of desirable extras. Heated leather seats are lovely this time of year. Personally I find linguatronic a waste of time.

Call Mercland in Nuneaton, forum sponsor, tell them what you are looking for. If they don't have it in stock I'm sure they'll try and source it for you. Jay Manek has good reputation from those who know.
I'll second that My mercs are MOT'd and repaired at Mercland and I often Browse Jays cars at the rear ,he has a good eye for well specced desirable reliable cars and as said "he know his stuff " i can always find several where i'm thinking I would like that one . I personally will travel to get the best dont limit yourself by staying too local, me I'd think nothing of travelling 180 miles for the right car or the best service .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom