Used car inspection- W211-buying privately.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
Just offered to buy a W211 estate. Is there anyone i should use to inspect it as its out of warranty and done about nearly 100k miles.
I'm going to put a warranty on it from Warranty direct but they will not cover any existing faults.

Seems like the Mrs wins again and I'm back with the E Class. Test drove a 525d today ..cool handling and lots of power. Going to miss not having it.

The car has had 6 services and well maintained but is due a service in 5000 miles. Not sure if the valeo rad problem is affected on car...How can i find that out?
It has had a good recent service with new tyres/ brake discs/pads etc.
Never bought privately..any advice for a novice?

Warranty from tesco is 259 but is value cover due to mileage. WDirect may cover more but no-one will cover any existing issues...is AA/RAC inspection any good..do you have any comeback if faults are missed.

from my experience private warrantlies aren't worth the money, they always riggle out of everything unless you are very good mates with your local VAT registered garage and they can tell the insurance company what they want to hear. Thats only my opinion! Is the one your buying on ebay with 113k miles on it? Looks v nice if it is.

Which one is that..any link?
No its an Avantgarde spec with parkatronic, with leather/phone kit.
I guess buying out of warranty is always a risk but maybe more so with a W211 in the early years. Had one previously from 52 and this one is not much diff.
The better models came 06.

I'm just concerned that AA might not pickup serious engine/geabox issues which may pre-exist on the car.....I'm not concerned about little elec gremlins...

Update@
just seen that car..very nice spec...just bidded on it...see what he says...its elegance but more powerful than mine.....

Last edited:
there's an avantgarde at £8995 on ebay aswell, private sale looks nice

Is that an estate with 7 seats or saloon?....I'm after an estate.

just seen that car..very nice spec...just bidded on it...see what he says...its elegance but more powerful than mine.....

You bid on it without viewing it ? Brave man ....

i'm such a luddite (sp?) - this is the item number 250386425527

Ask your local MB dealer how much they would charge for an inspection if you take it to them. It may be reasonable as they would hope to pick up any work needed on the car. They also tend to be picky and will look for known faults such as Valeo. have a look at the colour of the ATF; if not clear red then run away.......

That seems like a good idea smiley...will ring them.

the 220cdi on ebay is the same spec as the one i'm looking at but MORE expensive.

Last edited:
The earlier W211s were more troublesome - mostly electrics, and I think they were only galvanized in the 3Q2004.

You can spot a Valeo rad by the Valeo sticker on it. You want to see Behr ...

If the early W211 had elec issues which were more troublesome than safety issues i can live with that. If the car has valeo rad...what is the solution to this problem...change rad?

Merc dealer has said then can do 1hr inspection for 100 quid. AA/RAC do essentials test for around the same..but possibly a longer more comp test. Not sure which one to go for although with AA you pay upfront...whereas with dealer you book, turn up and then pay. I mean if buyer finds someone local,he'll sell to them and i'll book AA for nothing. Would there be any comeback if the AA/Merc dealer did not find an existing problem which the warranty company then rejects.

Adam

I think the guys having second thoughts, ..
we agreed on a price and he backed out today saying he wants 500 more as he's got more interest. what happenned to gentlemen's agreement these days!
All that ringing around for nothing...

Maybe just as well was thinking of it being a bit underpowered. Just been to Whatcar.com today ...it states the E200K model in estate form should be avoided and is harder to sell on......someone is looking out for me i guess
Anyone thinking of selling their S211? Just joking!!!!

Last edited:
Yes, if it's a Valeo, the solution is to change. But have a glycerol (sp?) test done on the ATF fluid to make sure it hasn't started to mix.

I don't see how if Merc/AA gave the car the all clear the warranty conmpany could turn round and reject a claim. I guess that's one of the benefits of having a pre-purchase test - it strengthens your case if you later have an argument with the warranty company.

I think the guys having second thoughts, ..
we agreed on a price and he backed out today saying he wants 500 more as he's got more interest. what happenned to gentlemen's agreement these days!
All that ringing around for nothing...

Maybe just as well was thinking of it being a bit underpowered. Just been to Whatcar.com today ...it states the E200K model in estate form should be avoided and is harder to sell on......someone is looking out for me i guess
Anyone thinking of selling their S211? Just joking!!!!

Yep walk away. Plenty of choice out there, and be picky about it. You'll find the one thats right for you and doesn't given you this degree of hassle. Worth also haggling with the local dealer to see if someone has part ex'ed a reasonable one in exchange for a new 09 plate (has anyone seen an 09 plate yet ?!)

From personal experience, AA inspections aren't worth the money.

To read the report I was sent, you would think they had inspected a completely different car. One example... cigarette lighter operation (tick ok)....hmmm the car didn't have one!

The report was submitted too late to influence my purchasing decision and cost almost as much as a third party warranty, which I appreciate can be rubbish but more value that the Dekra contracted AA inspection....

Sorry guys...Just bought 525dSE Auto leather/xenons/pdc,17 wheels/thorough load/bluetooth for 9.5k from BmW dealer with 3mth warranty.

This valoe rad/warranty think confused and i had to make a decison.
It was the auctions that got me going as BMW with low spec were selling for 9k. One went for over 12k although it was 56plate. an E220 cdi avant/leather went for 15k on 56plate...

How come BMW only gave you a 3 month warranty. Normally its 12 months. Sounds like its the car you really wanted from your original post. A 525d is c.£180bhp, for that sort of power you're needing a 270cdi, or any 6 clyinder MB. A 220cdi and 525d isn't a fair comparison in the MBs defence.

Sounds a nice spec of BMW :)

Its a 3month dealer warranty as car is high mileage. u can extend for 12 months buts 650 quid. I going to extend with warrantywise for comp cover for £399.

Its silver grey/xenons which i really like. does have ski-thorugh load...not sure if it help with moving big stuff though.

Adam

The earlier W211s were more troublesome - mostly electrics, and I think they were only galvanized in the 3Q2004.

You can spot a Valeo rad by the Valeo sticker on it. You want to see Behr ...
On galvanising try this thread for details: -
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34227
E CLASS -211 series- saloon and estates: -

All steel panels were galvanised from Quarter 1, 2003, production onwards.
During the previous quarter (Q4, 2002) the process was gradually introduced
on the production line and therefore some vehicles were galvanised during
this lead-up period, but not all.

Personally I would buy from an MB dealer with a proper guarantee. Surprisingly competitive at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom