Used car prices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
I've had my Audi for sale for a couple of weeks now here:
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=56321
and here:
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...make=AUDI&model=&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

I've found it difficult to value as there doesn't seem to be many similar ones available to compare to.

So far I've received no calls (apart from the time waster who wants me to register with them as they have buyers waiting to buy my car). I guess these would be the people who can't read Auto Trader or use a phone:rolleyes:

Am I asking too much money or is the used car market totally dead?

Any advice on valuation would be appreciated as I'm thinking of dropping the price.

Im afraid your price is over the top.

not knowing much about audi's, assuming thats the shape from 1999-2005, glass's trade price is 9k and retail is 11K so you would need to be asking nearer trade.

Im afraid your price is over the top.

not knowing much about audi's, assuming thats the shape from 1999-2005, glass's trade price is 9k and retail is 11K so you would need to be asking nearer trade.

ouch!

ive just done a search and audi dealers are selling similar specced cars in the 10's so im afraid it would need to be in the 9's.

As well as market conditions, I think that the new shape A6 had quite an impact on the previous model too. It was quite a leap in looks and for some reason left its predecessor looking very dated.

A6 Avant certainly sits on my shortlist, but one won't appear on my drive until new shape ones offer better VFM. The 2005 model doesn't look sufficiently different to one almost 10 years younger, so 'appears' aged.

if you join up as a member on auto trader, you can do an advanced search... this will then let you drill right down into Audi, A6, Estate, Less than 40K miles and less than 5 years old...

I thought of trading my car in but when I heard what the dealer was suggesting in value I had a second thought...would I pay what he is paying me for my car? And I would so decided I would keep it...:D

Yes, one similar to mine on Auto Trader (but manual) at £10,750 private sale. The next nearest is the one I found on the Audi site at £12,850.

I don't really want to keep the car because if I get the right truck (double cab) I don't need the extra vehicle. It would be nice to get the money out of the Audi to pay for the right truck. But it is a good car and at £10K I may just keep it and buy a cheaper truck.
On the other hand, over time, all it's going to do is lose more money.
Do I take the hit and move on or buy a cheap truck?

If you don't need the car and are definitely going to get the truck then the Audi is dead money dying...so makes sense to get out of it...(IMHO)

If you don't need the car and are definitely going to get the truck then the Audi is dead money dying...so makes sense to get out of it...(IMHO)

Thing is we have a Citroen C2 shared by wife & number 1 son who passed his test a couple of months ago.
Number 2 son will start to learn to drive next summer & when he passes the C2 will be shared by the 2 sons.
Audi is shared by me & wife.
I have a new business starting in about a month and had planned a nearly new (1 to 2 year old) double cab pick-up which can be run through the business and double up as the family car.
When new business is established (12 to 18 months) we hade then planned an SLK (or similar) for the wife as by then the sons would monopolise the C2.

Could change the plans - keep the C2 for reasons above. Buy a very cheap pick up for work and keep the Audi for now, trading it in for an SLK (or similar) in the future.
Trouble is, the value of the Audi will keep heading south for several years to come and the sort of SLK (or similar) we have in mind will probably be on a slower depreciation curve.
And, we lose the advantage of running a double cab pick up as a family car through the business.

Flog the Audi now, buy the cheaper truck. Put the excess cash in the bank earning interest as the SLKs that you're after depreciate more.

You'll be in a better position to buy rather than having an older A6 that's worth even less in a year or two's time.

Will

Flog the Audi now, buy the cheaper truck. Put the excess cash in the bank earning interest as the SLKs that you're after depreciate more.

You'll be in a better position to buy rather than having an older A6 that's worth even less in a year or two's time.

Will

Thanks, great idea, but no doubt any spare cash will be swallowed by the new business to reduce borrowings.

Audi now reduced in price to £11,500 to see if any interest generated in the last week on auto trader.

Trucks seem to be either cheap (sub £4k) and very nasty/worn
Previous models £6k to £9k
Current models £10k upwards
If the Audi sells it will probably be the latter.
If it doesn't, it will have to be the £6k to 9k option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom