used car purchase experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

artschool

hello to the forum!

I would love an opinion on whether my experience is normal. I have previously owned two c class estates and had a general good experience with MB.

I saw a used g class when my gf was getting her car repaired at the dealer. I had a chat with the sales person and have ended up buying the car a few days later. the bits that I think were a bit tiring are the following:
1. the salesman sent me an email naming a discount. when the paperwork came through he said the discount was against ceramic coating and scotch guard(which I didn't want & the car is unable to be treated with).
2. I wasn't allowed a test drive but sales person is insisting that I have "seen" the car therefore do not benefit from distance sales (due to covid).
3. I said I was going to get finance from my bank, sales person said not to via email. he said I could get 6.4% from them. then after I had sent deposit he emailed to say sorry but the rate had gone up to 6.9%. so I had to go online and arrange finance last minute myself.
4. told to arrange my own car tax etc.

I am distinctly underwhelmed by the whole thing. I got way better service buying my last C-Class (from a different dealership).

I go to collect it tomorrow.

hello to the forum!

I would love an opinion on whether my experience is normal. I have previously owned two c class estates and had a general good experience with MB.

I saw a used g class when my gf was getting her car repaired at the dealer. I had a chat with the sales person and have ended up buying the car a few days later. the bits that I think were a bit tiring are the following:
1. the salesman sent me an email naming a discount. when the paperwork came through he said the discount was against ceramic coating and scotch guard(which I didn't want & the car is unable to be treated with).
2. I wasn't allowed a test drive but sales person is insisting that I have "seen" the car therefore do not benefit from distance sales (due to covid).
3. I said I was going to get finance from my bank, sales person said not to via email. he said I could get 6.4% from them. then after I had sent deposit he emailed to say sorry but the rate had gone up to 6.9%. so I had to go online and arrange finance last minute myself.

I am distinctly underwhelmed by the whole thing. I got way better service buying my last C-Class (from a different dealership).

If you’re not happy, then don’t proceed with the purchase. If you do proceed, put the pre-purchase experience well behind you, don’t let it ruin the new car experience.

Echo BD's advice.

If you are not happy with what you have been told, you need to pause the deal.

If the issues are not resolved to your satisfaction, you need to be prepared to walk away.

If they don't bother you that much and you like the car, just move on.

Just sounds like a bumblefck dealer who are badly organised.

I had something similar with Vertu-allynoservice of Reading.

In my experience, they normally tax the car and charge you for it so that is a bit unusual.

Echo BD's advice.

If you are not happy with what you have been told, you need to pause the deal.

If the issues are not resolved to your satisfaction, you need to be prepared to walk away.

If they don't bother you that much and you like the car, just move on.

Just sounds like a bumblefck dealer who are badly organised.

I had something similar with Vertu-allynoservice of Reading.

In my experience, they normally tax the car and charge you for it so that is a bit unusual.
thats my understanding as well. they tax and I pay them. its just lots of little things. I will sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.

Echo all the advice above. On the car tax though most/all dealers nowadays will not/cannot tax the car for you and recharge the cost. The online car tax ‘experience’ requires the new used car owner to pay directly online at the Dealership on the day, and to certify ownership or responsibility as part of. This has been the case for years in my own personal experience at Jaguar, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes Main Dealers.

If it feels wrong it is wrong. Good people sell good cars. ******les sell crocks o'***te.
It's your money.

I've had both experiences regarding tax when buying the car, so I suspect it varies from dealer dealer according to their own internal processes.

The dealer I bought Lucy's Kuga from put the tax cost on the invoice and processed it in my presence. When I bought the A8 I put the transaction through on my phone while completing the rest of the paperwork with the salesman.

I just read the contract. no test drive due to covid.

(14) YOUR EXAMINATION OF USED VEHICLES: Unless you buy off-trade premises, you certify that prior to signing this order form that you have noted the age and mileage of the Vehicle, you have driven and examined the Vehicle (including the condition of the tyres, bodywork, paintwork, glass, interior trim, upholstery and general condition of the Vehicle) in relation to its age and have determined that the Vehicle is of satisfactory condition and quality and fitness for its purpose. Therefore, you accept that we are not liable for defects which either we have brought to your attention or which you should have reasonably noted during the examination of the Vehicle.

Sounds completely typical when you turn down the smartguard or gap insurance, usually run up your bum then when you turn it down the attitude completely changes. Happened with me last week when I bought my new a class.

I also didn’t like the COVID procedure. I was told when I rang Mercedes to order the car I couldn’t go through the garage to test drive or visit the garage to see the A class in person before buying. They told me my new car would be delivered to my house on a car transporter & my part ex collected from me. Then soon as the deal was done & deposit paid i was told I would have to take my old car to them & collect the new one. Wasn’t a problem & something I was happy to do, but then why wasn’t I aloud to visit the garage before hand?

What really really bothered me with my new purchase was how the salesman completely balls’d up my PCP deal. I had £1000 equity in my old car, I told them I was happy with using it for the deposit. They then come back to me & said we can use your equity to cover the cost of gap + smartguard and then you pay £1000 on top as your deposit. I declined the smartguard + gap so understandably just expected them to use the equity as the deposit. To my shock a day before collecting the car I get a call asking me to pay the remaining £500 towards deposit (Id already pay £500 down as a holding payment).

So instead of using my equity as the full deposit, they decided to put the deal through as £1000 from my car & £1000 cash from myself.

On the car tax though most/all dealers nowadays will not/cannot tax the car for you and recharge the cost. The online car tax ‘experience’ requires the new used car owner to pay directly online at the Dealership on the day, and to certify ownership or responsibility as part of. This has been the case for years in my own personal experience at Jaguar, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes Main Dealers.

Yeah actually I'd forgotten about that. Last time I bought a car that's how it was.

What really really bothered me with my new purchase was how the salesman completely balls’d up my PCP deal. I had £1000 equity in my old car, I told them I was happy with using it for the deposit. They then come back to me & said we can use your equity to cover the cost of gap + smartguard and then you pay £1000 on top as your deposit. I declined the smartguard + gap so understandably just expected them to use the equity as the deposit. To my shock a day before collecting the car I get a call asking me to pay the remaining £500 towards deposit (Id already pay £500 down as a holding payment).

So instead of using my equity as the full deposit, they decided to put the deal through as £1000 from my car & £1000 cash from myself.

Presumably it got rectified in the end?

Just a thought - given the current state of affairs with Covid, the sales sides of all dealerships are closed for face-to-face business until April 12th as far as I am aware? If so, then under the circumstances trying to claim that it wasn't bought under distanced selling puts them on rather sticky ground.

Yeah actually I'd forgotten about that. Last time I bought a car that's how it was.

Presumably it got rectified in the end?

Nope, was told that’s what the deal had been based on & paperwork had been signed and dealt with. Even though we didn’t actually sign the finance documents until after I’d paid the rest of the deposit. I got caught up in the excitement of a new car so couldn’t be bothered to argue but made sure he knew I wasn’t particularly happy & that it wasn’t the deal I asked for. Turns out it was worth the extra £1000 deposit is it brought the monthly payments down to an exact straight number but not really the point.

I just read the contract. no test drive due to covid.

(14) YOUR EXAMINATION OF USED VEHICLES: Unless you buy off-trade premises, you certify that prior to signing this order form that you have noted the age and mileage of the Vehicle, you have driven and examined the Vehicle (including the condition of the tyres, bodywork, paintwork, glass, interior trim, upholstery and general condition of the Vehicle) in relation to its age and have determined that the Vehicle is of satisfactory condition and quality and fitness for its purpose. Therefore, you accept that we are not liable for defects which either we have brought to your attention or which you should have reasonably noted during the examination of the Vehicle.
Well you obviously can't sign that agreement, as you haven't driven the car. Either cross out that clause before signing or insist it be removed.

Covid has been around for a year. Plenty of time for them to rewrite their agreement to fit the current circumstances.

hello to the forum!

It always amazes me that salespeople manage to make the purchase of a car which should be pleasurable experience, into something underwhelming. Buy a different asset of an equivalent value, and salespeople seem to be able to make the experience really good. Car salespeople (with some exceptions) seem to be in a league of their own. Don't see it ever changing either.

Either cross out that clause before signing or insist it be removed.
That was going to be my suggestion. Contacts are legally binding documents (with some degree of protection regarding unfair terms), so it’s important that they reflect reality. If not, don’t sign it.

Some of these CV19 excuses companies are coming out with are total nonsense. If you don't feel like a valued customer then tell them that and walk away. The more people accept it the more ludicrous the excuses will become.

Well you obviously can't sign that agreement, as you haven't driven the car. Either cross out that clause before signing or insist it be removed.

Covid has been around for a year. Plenty of time for them to rewrite their agreement to fit the current circumstances.

That was going to be my suggestion. Contacts are legally binding documents (with some degree of protection regarding unfair terms), so it’s important that they reflect reality. If not, don’t sign it.
I wonder what the sales team's response would be to someone modifying the contract! "Does not compute", I expect.

I bought my wife a new (well 3 month old RR Evoque) just before Xmas. The dealer could not have been more helpful; calls and emails returned very quickly, questions answered clearly and further information provided without prompting across a few subjects, unaccompanied test drive for 45 minutes offered and accepted and generally felt welcome and appreciated through the whole experience. Inchcape Guilford if anyone wants to know.

So effectively the complete opposite of the OP's MB experience which unfortunately appears to be a rather regular theme on here recently.

I asked about modifying the contract. they said no. I am currently just checking my own finance agreement but it looks like I can undo it so long as it within 14 days.

it is mad that this is the process to buy a G Wagon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom