used car purchase experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Benz17, i doubt they will do the referb on the wheels themselves they normally outsource that.

Benz17, i doubt they will do the referb on the wheels themselves they normally outsource that.
Yes one of mates also said the same thing, that it probably was the compressor with the guy who is coming out to do the refurb.

Yes one of mates also said the same thing, that it probably was the compressor with the guy who is coming out to do the refurb.
Is it Chandlers? - they have an associated operation called Chandlers Cosmetic and I believe they do wheels.

Is it Chandlers? - they have an associated operation called Chandlers Cosmetic and I believe they do wheels.
Hi, yes it’s chandlers.

on a side note, and hypothetically speaking, deposit paid, first in person view, and collection on Saturday, if not happy with condition and description, can one refuse the deal, and within my right for deposit to be returned. Never get a feel and full picture from the video, so I guess sometimes could be a wasted effort and journey, but I guess that’s buying car experience and buying from distance for you.

When I purchased my w213, August 2019, I was in London, and the car in Bridgend, got the usual video, and did negotiations over the phone, paid deposit, went over there in my w211 to do px deal, always had in back of mind, if the car wasn’t as I had envisaged, and described, what would happen, fortunately it was as described.

My son in law went from Essex to Wales to get a Range Rover from stratstones, when he got there the car was full of scratches, the trains was cancelled so he couldn't get back and had to stay in a hotel for the night, that stratstone's didn't want to know, he ended up getting in touch with the main headquarters of Stratstones and the CEO and they refunded his money for the train fare and hotel, what a nightmare and a waste of a weekend. i am extra fussy you only get one chance, so before you depart with your money make sure everything is right, including your wheels, good luck let us know how it goes

Is it Chandlers? - they have an associated operation called Chandlers Cosmetic and I believe they do
My son in law went from Essex to Wales to get a Range Rover from stratstones, when he got there the car was full of scratches, the trains was cancelled so he couldn't get back and had to stay in a hotel for the night, that stratstone's didn't want to know, he ended up getting in touch with the main headquarters of Stratstones and the CEO and they refunded his money for the train fare and hotel, what a nightmare and a waste of a weekend. i am extra fussy you only get one chance, so before you depart with your money make sure everything is right, including your wheels, good luck let us know how it goes
Yikes, did they really think someone would have bought it, the thing is I am buying on behalf of my father, he is away and back in the uk on Sunday, yes he trusts me to get him the prefect ish used car, but he is also fussy, more then me I have to add, so there is more pressure on me to check the car will meet his expectations and mine too. He knows the conditions of my previous used cars I have bought, so he will go with my decisions.

Well it looks like all the dealers are plagued. I went to collect a Jag today just be told that it wasn't valeted yet and that they will deliver it at my place later today. Suffice to say I refused to sign the hand over papers until I go over the car with magnifying glass and sit in it.

Good move.

It's worth finding and printing out an inspection sheet with a diagram of the car and taking it with a clipboard and a torch and spending a decent amount of time (20 minutes minium) going over the car in detail - and takoign somebody with you acts as a double check.

Good move.

It's worth finding and printing out an inspection sheet with a diagram of the car and taking it with a clipboard and a torch and spending a decent amount of time (20 minutes minium) going over the car in detail - and takoign somebody with you acts as a double check.
One really shouldn’t have to, at main dealers, especially at premium priced dealers. But I guess this is the way things are going, sad to see, expected more from them.

I guess this is the way things are going,
It's the way things have *gone*.

That doesn't mean there are dealers - or individual members of staff - who actually care and look after the customer. But the reports on the forum of issues with Approved Used car preparation issues go back well over a decade.

One tip if i may, if it has the door handles that light up on the outside, make sure they are working its hard to see in the daylight, let them think you are a nut, we are all nuts on here.

It's the way things have *gone*.

That doesn't mean there are dealers - or individual members of staff - who actually care and look after the customer. But the reports on the forum of issues with Approved Used car preparation issues go back well over a decade.
In my case the salesman did look after me and was a real pleasure to deal with. Later today at the hand-over he brought me, instead of a sales brochure/leaflet I asked for, a 106 pages book about XF. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
His boss “Sales Manager” was the one going on my nerves with his typical car salesman BS and ridiculous proposals.
So yes, there are still staff members who actually care and look after their customers.

In my case the salesman did look after me and was a real pleasure to deal with. Later today at the hand-over he brought me, instead of a sales brochure/leaflet I asked for, a 106 pages book about XF. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
His boss “Sales Manager” was the one going on my nerves with his typical car salesman BS and ridiculous proposals.
So yes, there are still staff members who actually care and look after their customers.
Lucky you, is always going to be the exception to the rule.

Is probably new to the job - will get it beaten out of him if he's going to last :)

Is probably new to the job - will get it beaten out of him if he's going to last :)

The two best AU experiences we had involved sales staff new to the job.

And 'beaten out' by whom .... employer, management, colleagues .... or by cumulative experience with unreasonable and difficult and mercurial customers.

Lucky you, is always going to be the exception to the rule.

Yes he probably is new to the job at 22. I'm planing writing an email later today to the Dealership manager to give my appraisal for the lad.

Yes he probably is new to the job at 22. I'm planing writing an email later today to the Dealership manager to give my appraisal for the lad.

Nice one :thumb:

All too often some people are slow to give praise where it's due.

The two best AU experiences we had involved sales staff new to the job.

And 'beaten out' by whom .... employer, management, colleagues .... or by cumulative experience with unreasonable and difficult and mercurial customers.
I suspect that there's some truth in this, two sides to every story etc. - I've seen a few examples of what, on the face of it and without knowing the background, appear to be unreasonble customers in various garages/showrooms over the years whilst I've been there as a customer.

Hi , you would think that Mercedes would read all threads concerning Mercedes products.

Clearly Daimler make so much money up steam they don't care about the customer.At the end of the day car companies are selling us a couple of tonnes of steel / alloy at highly inflated prices.

Hi , you would think that Mercedes would read all threads concerning Mercedes products.

Clearly Daimler make so much money up steam they don't care about the customer.At the end of the day car companies are selling us a couple of tonnes of steel / alloy at highly inflated prices.
Unfortunately there are poor customer experiences in any and every business, even smaller family owned businesses will have blips upon occasion.

Unfortunately there’s no way of guaranteeing a great customer experience every time because something things go wrong despite best efforts.

My own personal approach is to buy from the person and not the business. The person I’m dealing with will make or break the whole customer experience.

@artschool That sounds like a poor experience from a customer's perspective. I had heard horror stories about MB dealers before but my experience of buying a used car from a MB dealer was amazing. They made me feel like I was buying a brand new S class, even though it was a used C class. And that's despite me turning down the finance offers and the ceramic coatings etc.

On top of that, they went out of their way to get the car in pristine condition before I arrived to collect it and when I did turn up, I really felt like a valued customer. The car was sitting under one of those black covers in the showroom that they pulled off for the big reveal and they spent so much time on the handover in terms of explaining all the features of the car (I'm new to MB cars) and ensuring all the paperwork etc was in order.

When I purchased my W213, the car was in pristine condition, they even had it polished, even smelt like new, although it was 2 years old, as soon as I turned up at the dealer, and set my eyes on it for the first time at handover, i knew I had made a good choice, Mercedes Bridgend made me feel welcome, and nothing was too much trouble., the car has also turned out a good un.

As far as the experience went last week with purchasing the BMW 330e, on behalf of my father, the experience with the salesman was great, but I had in my mind that the car would also be pristine in and out at handover, just like my W213 was, but this was not the case, car had water marks on body and glass, inside seats had plenty of dust, it’s not what I was expecting, also when looking at pictures of cars on various websites, have noticed many have not been cleaned or hoovered inside prior to taking the pictures, bit shabby and unprofessional in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom