used car warranties

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

comports

Car
CLK 350 Cabriolet
Hi oh learned friends... Your thoughts please and experiences if you have them...

I've just bought a 54 plate Range Rover TD6. 46,000 miles and full history from a small dealer (not main agent) with a self underwritten 3 month warranty. Probably not worth a great deal though and I was wondering if anyone has bought a used vehicle warranty. Does the group think they are worth buying (ie worth the paper they are written on) and any clues as to who would be a reputable company to buy from?

Warranty direct appear quite frequently on adverts. They want £750 for an all inclusive 12 month warranty.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Warranty direct appear quite frequently on adverts. They want £750 for an all inclusive 12 month warranty.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Normally I'd say used car warranty is of dubious value.

But this is a RR.

Assuming it covers things like air suspension compressor, cooling system, aircon system, and central locking I'd probably take it at £750 for a year after the dealer warranty 3 months has run its course.

They're lovely cars but ownership can be a bit onerous at times.

Search round on the internet for a better value deal. It's is in effect just an insurnace policy that your dealer is buying on your behalf and then putting thier % on top too!

AA, RAC all provide these deals to name only a few.

Thanks guys,

I've had 3 RR's hence my reasoning for wanting one. The dealer (or really car trader, works from home) gives his own 3 month warranty but it wouldn't amount to much if I called him on it I don't think.

The price I found was on the net direct with warranty direct or Warranty Wise that I'd take out after the 3 months is up. Just wondered if anyone had good experience with claiming on one. The warranty direct one does cover all the things listed below and even covers for repair due to wear and tear. Listed whats in it..

Engine
All internally lubricated parts, including but not exclusive to the following: cam followers, camshaft bearings, camshaft/s, connecting rods and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, cylinder bores, cylinder head, cylinder liners, distributor drive, gudgeon pins, liner seals, oil pump and drive, piston rings, pistons, rocker gear/ tappet gear, timing chain and timing chain tensioner, valve guides, valve springs, valves (excl. decarbonisation, burnt or pitted valves and valve seats), cylinder block, internal bushings, rear main seal Specified non-lubricated parts: cylinder head gasket, exhaust manifolds, flex plate/ auto drive plate, inlet manifolds, timing gears, cambelt and cambelt tensioner, crankshaft pulley, flywheel, ring gear, starter ring gear

Turbo
Intercooler, turbocharger, wastegate and actuator

Clutch
Clutch cable, master cylinder, pedal assembly, slave cylinder.

Manual transmission
Bearings, bushes, extension shaft, gears, selector shafts and forks, shafts, synchromesh hubs and rings, drive chains, gearlever

Automatic transmission
Automatic transmission clutches, bearings, brake bands, bushes, extension shaft, gears, internal governor (manual and electric), oil pump, servos, shafts, torque converter, valve block, valves, drive chains, gearlever, input shaft oil seal, modulator valve

Front Wheel Drive Unit
Bushes and internal bearings, C.V. joints, crown wheel and pinion, differential gears and bearings, external drive shafts, front wheel bearings, universal joints

Rear axle
Bushes and internal bearings, C.V. joints, crown wheel and pinion, differential gears and bearings, external drive shafts, rear wheel bearings

Four Wheel Drive System
Bushes and internal bearings, C.V. joints, couplings, front differential, inter-axle differential and lock, rear differential and lock, shafts

Propshaft
Centre bearings, universal joints, propshaft

ECUs
Engine ECU

Braking System
Brake servo unit, calipers, brake master cylinder, wheel cylinders

ABS
ABS pressure reducing and proportioning valves, ABS pump and control unit

Cooling System
Heater matrix, radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, viscous fan coupling, water pump

Steering
Column shaft, couplings, idler box, power steering unit including pump, pressure pipes, rack and pinion, reservoir, steering box, steering column tilt mechanism, track rods/ track rod ends

Fuel System
Airflow meter, cold start injector, diesel injectors, fuel distributor, fuel gauge, injection pumps, low pressure pumps, petrol injectors, tank sender unit, warm-up regulator

Electronic Ignition
Camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, ignition coils

Electrics
Alternator, alternator voltage regulator, engine cooling fan motor, electric window motors, front windscreen wiper motor, rear windscreen wiper motor, interior cabin fan motor, horn, indicator flasher unit, starter motor

Bodywork
Tailgate suspension struts

Casings
Casings are covered provided they have been damaged as a direct result of the covered failure of an insured part.

Alarm systems and immobilisers
Alarm systems and immobilisers are covered provided they were factory fitted by the vehicle manufacturer as part of the vehicle's original specification.

Sounds comprehensive but do they pay out or try to wriggle out of it.?

Have you asked RR if they will sell you a used car warranty in much the same way that MB do? If not then I would look an AA Warranty, I had these for several years on my SL and they were very good. I imagine the RAC warranty may also be good.

May be worth contacting Jaymanek, as he may sell used car warranties, so could advise on a good one.

assuming you asked for the quote to be mailed to you warranty direct will ring in the next couple of days and make a much better offer.

20% in my case.

Slightly OT (but it's my thread I suppose) :)

Do any of you fine folks have an L322 Range Rover... With 20" wheels. If so, what size is your spare. If it's also 20, does it fit in the wheel well..?

Thanks

Funnily enough, I had a quote through the door regarding an earlier enquiry for a warranty for a L322 TD6 and it is £635.

Oh do tell SweetPea....

Who were they..... Was t for an all inclusive (wear n tear etc) warranty..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom