Used Car Warranty - NOX Sensor Fail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul1977

Car
CLS 2.1 2015 Shooting Brake
Good afternoon,

I apologise if this specific question has been asked before, but could not find a definitive answer.

I purchased a 2015 CLS220 in December 2019 from a MB main dealer. It came with 12 month used car warranty. The engine management light came on last week, and the MOT is also due. Upon taking it in to have the Engine Management read, I was notified it was both NOX sensors that have failed and need replacing, and this would cost £1300 +. As the engine management light is on, it would fail the MOT, so have opted to not have that done. Would I be right to think these NOX sensors would be covered under the USed Car Warranty? Or will MB try to say this is not covered? From a little research, and looking on this site, I can see it is a common fault with quite a few MB cars. Any advice or assistance you can offer is much appreciated. If it is a bit of a grey area, and they may try to wriggle out of replacing FOC, any advice or information you could provide to assist in my claim, is also much appreciated. I just want my car back road worthy again ASAP, and ideally without a £1300 bill.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

Good afternoon,

I apologise if this specific question has been asked before, but could not find a definitive answer.

I purchased a 2015 CLS220 in December 2019 from a MB main dealer. It came with 12 month used car warranty. The engine management light came on last week, and the MOT is also due. Upon taking it in to have the Engine Management read, I was notified it was both NOX sensors that have failed and need replacing, and this would cost £1300 +. As the engine management light is on, it would fail the MOT, so have opted to not have that done. Would I be right to think these NOX sensors would be covered under the USed Car Warranty? Or will MB try to say this is not covered? From a little research, and looking on this site, I can see it is a common fault with quite a few MB cars. Any advice or assistance you can offer is much appreciated. If it is a bit of a grey area, and they may try to wriggle out of replacing FOC, any advice or information you could provide to assist in my claim, is also much appreciated. I just want my car back road worthy again ASAP, and ideally without a £1300 bill.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

Cant see any reason why it would not be covered, it is a manufacturing fault. and you have 3 months left on warranty.

Hi
Bought my e350 cdi June 2019 MB Approved used my EML came on nearly 5 weeks outside of the 12 months warranty.
They replaced mine FOC no quibbling at all.
Besides which the warranty on yours is still valid so shouldn't be an issue at all.

Have had all 5 sensors replaced on my 2015 E400 FOC.

Under 12 month used car warranty and when out of warranty recently.

Regards
David

In addition to the used car warranty, you may find you have MOT failure cover - and MB should be well aware of this issue by now.

I would be surprised if you have too much difficulty getting MB to cover this for you.

Good luck :cool:

...Upon taking it in to have the Engine Management read, I was notified it was both NOX sensors that have failed and need replacing, and this would cost £1300 +...

I am assuming that you didn't take the car to an MB dealer then? A dealer would have known that the car is covered by warranty and would have just booked you in as matter of course.

In future, while the car is still covered by warranty, always take it to the dealer first, hear what they have to say etc.

Why not just book it in with your local MB dealer to fix it and tell them you have a warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom