Used CLS SB / estate becoming cheap quicker than expected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
So I was doing the usual car daydreaming for when the time comes to upgrade my W219 CLS and noticed that the W218 shooting brake models seem to be dropping quicker than I expected.

One independent retailer down in the south appears to have the market cornered in the non-main dealer CLS SB vehicles, having a whole bunch of them in stock. Happens to be one I have read some negative reviews of I think though. This is the cheapest one on autotrader and it looks pretty nice. £19k and 50-odd k miles. A bunch of others too in same price ballpark with lower mileage. Even at main dealers they aren't priced at all that much more.
Mercedes-Benz Cls Class CLS 250 CDI 5dr Auto FULL LEATHER & CRUISE 2.2

Anyway, the SB which seemed to be available from 2013 isn't a great deal more than the cheapest W218 saloon which came out in 2011. So for literally a couple of grand more you're getting a car a couple of years younger and the estate version too. The fact they only did the diesel (apart from the AMG) in the SB isn't ideal for my usage profile (another petrol V6 would have been my first choice) but will be looking at them more closely over the next 12 months.

Any conspiracy theories why they are so cheap?!

Last edited:
Not a conspiracy theory, just an observation that 2 - 3 years ago MB were offering very attractive finance deals (low rate and a big "dealer contribution") on the CLS 250CDI so there are an awful lot coming to market used about now.

So I was doing the usual car daydreaming for when the time comes to upgrade my W219 CLS and noticed that the W218 shooting brake models seem to be dropping quicker than I expected.

One independent retailer down in the south appears to have the market cornered in the non-main dealer CLS SB vehicles, having a whole bunch of them in stock. Happens to be one I have read some negative reviews of I think though. This is the cheapest one on autotrader and it looks pretty nice. £19k and 50-odd k miles. A bunch of others too in same price ballpark with lower mileage. Even at main dealers they aren't priced at all that much more.
Mercedes-Benz Cls Class CLS 250 CDI 5dr Auto FULL LEATHER & CRUISE 2.2

Anyway, the SB which seemed to be available from 2013 isn't a great deal more than the cheapest W218 saloon which came out in 2011. So for literally a couple of grand more you're getting a car a couple of years younger and the estate version too. The fact they only did the diesel (apart from the AMG) in the SB isn't ideal for my usage profile (another petrol V6 would have been my first choice) but will be looking at them more closely over the next 12 months.

Because it's big motoring world. Check out their reviews.

Because it's big motoring world. Check out their reviews.

However, as with all the car supermarkets they sell many hundreds of cars a month all with the least prep they can get away with.

People only tend to write reviews to complain about something, so they will have a more complaints than places that sell a few cars per week. Some people complain about travelling down a long way

I am happy with the car I bought from there, a lot cheaper (several k) than the main dealer for a car with the spec I wanted.

Living locally I know a lot of people that have bought cars from there and are happy. No haggling, and I wouldn't take any of their add-ons/guarantees.

get a 350 if you can stretch to it

regbuser said:
get a 350 if you can stretch to it

Agreed, unless fuel consumption is a big part of your motoring I'm not a fan of the cls being anything less than 6 cylinders. Have some grunt to go with the looks!

Bri said:
Why it seems a good deal !

Leopards don't change their spots and the balance of recent reviews on google seem to support this.

Of course you might be lucky and get a good car, but get one with "issues" and you'll go grey very quickly and become very familiar with the new Consumer Rights Act...

If you really must buy from that source be very very thorough. Try and get an independent inspection (with diagnostics), don't pay the full balance until all issues have been resolved and you have visually confirmed this.

As to those who say "it's a Car Supermarket ,what do you expect" - they're not all the same - there are those who stand up for their products even after the event, and those who really couldn't give a toss and pay lip service to Consumer rights.

I'll leave you to decide where to pigeon hole this particular concern.

I'm looking for one of these myself to replace my E270cdi and runabout Honda HRV with a single car. Having tried a few the 350cdi is the one to get. The 250cdi is ok'ish, but the later 220cdi is underpowered.

For some unknown reason the CLS SB is depreciating very quickly (maybe they were over priced to begin with?). It could be that the model is seen as an orphan, much like the R Class, either way that means more car for me.

I bought one a couple of days before christmas from a main dealer and 2.5k miles later love the car; Screen price was £22500, black on black 250 Shooting brake, AMG trim, 2 services included as well as £750 deposit contribution and 4 brand new tyres on the 19s. I can see us keeping it a long time as the family wagon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom