used laptop question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
I am thinking about buying a used laptop for my music collection which is at about 15000 songs. I will also take it to the bar so it's playing music for 16 hours a day.

I have a Dell inspiron 1520 that is 3 years old and has been faultless so far.

I have seen the Inspiron 1720 model on ebay for around 250 quid. Or should I look at other brands.

Has anyone bought re-con or used laptop this way?

Considering you can buy a half decent New LAPTOP for less than £300 with a warranty!! £250 SEEMS A TAD PRICEY!

I bought a Thinkpad T61 off eBay few weeks and I'm delighted with it - it's exactly the same as one I already (it's sequentially 19 numbers apart in the serial number!) and appears never to have been used (although it's 4yrs old). It did get a bit lost on its way to me which was slightly scary but once the seller sent the tracking number I could see it absolutely wasn't his fault, it sat in a depot for 4 days.

As I understand it, as long as you use PayPal and don't do anything daft like buy it outside of eBay etc, you're pretty well 100% protected.

Considering you can buy a half decent New LAPTOP for less than £300 with a warranty!! £250 SEEMS A TAD PRICEY!

That's true - I bought another T61 as hate 16:9 widescreen and wanted another 4:3. But I wanted to upgrade to Windows7 Pro and to buy it retail it costs £170. I've noticed you can buy brand-new laptops with it loaded for £300 ish.

Don't know anything about the machine, but this offer (£100 cashback) was emailed to me the other day: HP 620 Core 2 Duo T6670 2.2GHz 4GB 320GB 15.6" Windows 7 Professional 64 bit + Free Carry Case (WT138EA#ABU) - dabs.com

and DABS have a bunch of Lenovo (and presumably other) laptops for the low £300's.

Last edited:
When you look at new laptops, they range in price from ~£300 to ~£1,500, and indeed their are differences in brand, performance, display quality, size/weight, warranty, and other features.

However, they loose their value as second-hand units. The simple reason is that an entry-level new laptop is likely to be faster - and have higher spec, e.g. memory and hard disk size - then a top-of-the range laptop of 2 years old. And even well-known brand names such as Dell, Acer and HP are now selling ~£300 laptops.

So in my opinion it always makes more sense to buy a new basic branded model than an old high-end model. This is why old high-end models have minuscule resale value. It may have cost a thousand Pounds three years ago, but it's worth fifty quid now, if that...

This is why I never understood why 'professional' thieves still steal laptops - and many of our customers have laptops stolen on almost regular basis - if I were the kind of person who buys stolen goods, I would not have paid more than £20-£30 for one - not with eBay around anyway selling legit ones.

Personally, I never tried selling an old laptop, and I had quite a few... I usually re-house my old ones for free with those friends and relatives who are happy to have them. I feel that if I charge anyone anything for a 3-yaers old laptop, I'd be robbing them blind...

Remember, hard drives usually work perfectly well right up to the moment they suffer catastrophic failure. There's no guarantee a new machine won't fail, but it will have a guarantee, unlike a used one. As you have a lot of data, consider an external backup drive. They're so cheap it's almost a sin not to have one.

Having bought my son a high end HP laptop for his university course I'll never buy anything from them again. It suffered from serious overheating and the "flip-the-screen-around-to-turn-it-into-a-touchscreen-tablet" (long before ipads were invented) failed as well. As these faults revealed themselves about two days after the warranty expired, HP were not interested. Searching the intertubes showed I was by no means alone, the faults being very common. I contacted HP again with the evidence of faulty design and manufacture, but apparently this wasn't faulty design or manufacture at all. They just happened to be a series of similar individual failures, nothing to do with them.

Remember, hard drives usually work perfectly well right up to the moment they suffer catastrophic failure. There's no guarantee a new machine won't fail, but it will have a guarantee, unlike a used one. As you have a lot of data, consider an external backup drive. They're so cheap it's almost a sin not to have one.

Having bought my son a high end HP laptop for his university course I'll never buy anything from them again. It suffered from serious overheating and the "flip-the-screen-around-to-turn-it-into-a-touchscreen-tablet" (long before ipads were invented) failed as well. As these faults revealed themselves about two days after the warranty expired, HP were not interested. Searching the intertubes showed I was by no means alone, the faults being very common. I contacted HP again with the evidence of faulty design and manufacture, but apparently this wasn't faulty design or manufacture at all. They just happened to be a series of similar individual failures, nothing to do with them.

We buy quite a lot of HP kit, and find their service to be actually very good - but this is for their business machines. I did hear stories similar to your own from customers who bought privately products from HP's consumer line. But then again their business equipment is far more expensive - so I suppose reducing the level of service to consumers is just HP's way of competing with the very low Retail (both on-line high-street) prices these days. Still unjustified in my opinion...

Searching the intertubes showed I was by no means alone, the faults being very common. I contacted HP again with the evidence of faulty design and manufacture, but apparently this wasn't faulty design or manufacture at all. They just happened to be a series of similar individual failures, nothing to do with them.

I must speak up for Dell in that regard. My daughter's laptop had the famous Dell "vertical line" issue on the screen. OK, it's a bit difficult to hide from such a major problem as that caused Dell, but the model my daughter had wasn't noted as being affected.

It took a bit of a battle but I made contact with a customer services rep through a Dell forum and they sent a repair technician to the house to replace the screen on a 33mth old laptop that only had a 12mth warranty.

Doesn't sound like a massive saving. Warranty with a new one for piece of mind may be worth it.

When looking for cheapness I tend to go for a refurb unit from Laptops Direct or similar, plenty to choose from under 300 quid and all will play a bit of music.

Don't forget that the onboard sound on most laptops is a bit noisy, Peavey USB-P BUS Powered USB Audio Interface DI Box | DV247 will help :)

When looking for cheapness I tend to go for a refurb unit from Laptops Direct or similar, plenty to choose from under 300 quid and all will play a bit of music.

Don't forget that the onboard sound on most laptops is a bit noisy, Peavey USB-P BUS Powered USB Audio Interface DI Box | DV247 will help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom