Used ML - Market / Price Negotiation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spy

Car
Mercedes
Hi all,

I am in the market for a used ML for the wife.

Looking at the current shape (pre-facelift) with the following:
- 2006 to 2008 year
- less than 50k miles
- 320 CDI Sport (may consider a 280 CDI)
- Command

Had a look in the classifieds and there appear to be hardly any private cars for sale, mainly used dealer/Mercedes cars.

I was wondering, what is the market like for these cars at the moment (I hear the car market is a little depressed) and what can I expect as a discount from the advertised prices ?

Surely any discount would depend entirely on the deal as a case itself.

Ie - is the car overpriced to start with? What 'package' are you getting (warranty etc). Are you paying cash, do you need p/ex facility etc?

Not having a go, and I appreciate we all like a good deal, but a discount means nothing - it's the overall cost/VFM that matters :)

Will

It's probably better to avoid trade-in if you are able - in my experience it just muddies the water, but if you do need to trade in then the only figure you are interested in is the 'price to change' - i.e. the difference between the car you leave there and the one you drive away.

The main problem with Autotrader/main dealer websites is that they only show what is being asked for the car, not what is finally paid. It's worth spending a couple of quid on the valuation websites (though unless you have access to CAP I'd treat the values with at least a small pinch of salt); that will give you a decent feel for the price to pay for a given car/spec (and most of the sites can be tailored to value options/mileage as well).

Re the state of the market, I think all you have are the usual truisms - money is tight so big engines fall in value, money is tight so diesels hold their value, winter is coming so convertibles will fall in value and 4x4s will hold their value better.

I may have an ML, I was just wondering what your wife was like?

Any photos, model year, does she have any known problems, issues, etc.

Cash adjustment perhaps?

Thanks guys.

Firstly, no part-ex looking to do a straight cash deal with no finance.

Given teh above, I was wondering what the market is like, are these cars sticking around forecourts and therefore discounts are likely etc

I may have an ML, I was just wondering what your wife was like?

Any photos, model year, does she have any known problems, issues, etc.

Cash adjustment perhaps?

Sorry, looking to sell the wife privately, once I have the new model tucked up in bed ;)

I hear I can get a decent price for her in the Middle East. UK used wife prices are a little depressed at the moment !

If you find one without comand then you can negotiate a good discount as they are hard to sell without comand fitted. You can then retrofit comand yourself. Its easy in an ML;)

If you find one without comand then you can negotiate a good discount as they are hard to sell without comand fitted. You can then retrofit comand yourself. Its easy in an ML;)

Thanks fro the tip.

What is the cost of a Command unit for the post 2006 ML ?

I was wondering, which is the better model, the SE or Sport ?

When I look at them, I can't see that much different in the styling.

Also, how hard wearing is the alcantara in the Sport - will it be resistant to kids and their mess ?

Also, how hard wearing is the alcantara in the Sport - will it be resistant to kids and their mess ?

For me the Sport is the 'better' model, they generally come better spec'd up than the SE.

When I looked into buying a W164, the half suede interior was a slight worry with 3 children and I had a bit of good luck with a forum member wanting rid of his 'full leather' interior. My intention was when I bought one to then swap from half leather/half suede to full leather because on of the ML's I looked at had iirc 85k on the clock and the suede looked slightly matted.

As it happened, I didn't end up buying an ML, so if you do, I've got a full leather interior for a W164 ML if you want it.

The Sport with 20 inch wheels versus 18 inch on the SE is by far the most popular largely because of the current fashion for bigger wheels (although they offer less grip in Mud and Snow and MB offer winter wheels and tyres on 18 inch wheels)

Sport also offers shiny pedals, tinted windows (behind B pillar), alloy running boards, and alcantara seats instead of Artico. See MB website for full details (most are in pricelist which you can download) or drop into local dealer and get a brochure

Alcantara is a Du Pont invention, dearer than leather, and often used on millionaires yachts. It breathes like leather, keeps its shape well, and if you spill coffee on it it just wipes off.

Check asking prices on MB website under used car search. IMO great bargains at the moment as new model in the spring etc.

Always worth haggling but they shift fairly fast. I spent a couple of months looking for mine and was surprised how ones I fancied moved on.

I get 33mpg plus on a run cruising at around the legal max and 25/26/27 pottering locally. Service plan for 3 years/3 services is £36 per month.

Hi all,

I am in the market for a used ML for the wife.

Looking at the current shape (pre-facelift) with the following:
- 2006 to 2008 year
- less than 50k miles
- 320 CDI Sport (may consider a 280 CDI)
- Command

Had a look in the classifieds and there appear to be hardly any private cars for sale, mainly used dealer/Mercedes cars.

I was wondering, what is the market like for these cars at the moment (I hear the car market is a little depressed) and what can I expect as a discount from the advertised prices ?

Plug those details into the MB website search engine under used car search and you will get a large selection. You can make it stack prices from low to high.

Approved Used gives you a good 12 month waraanty and plenty of time to fix any niggles. Expect to pay £19k plus for a good 2006 with COMAND and 22k for a good 2008.

Check out MB Peterborough who have one of each at these prices and are usually pretty competitive.

Dealers often say ARTICO on their details even when it is Alacantara. The Artico is shiny. Alcantara is like suede.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The reason I was tempted by the SE is that it comes with leather seats, or at least most that I have seen advertised.

It does sound like the Sport is the more desirable model though and Alcantara is not an issue.

Any thoughts on the airmatic suspension, I have seen a couple of cars with it on but quite rare. In the reviews it sounds like a good option to have but i am worried about its long term reliability and cost to fix. Any experience with it ?

I agree with Hawk that the best choice is probably on the MB Approved Used site, but I know lots of people on here don't like going down that route.
Dealers will tell you that MLs move quickly, but many on the website seem to be around a long time. And whenever I visit a dealer, they all seem to have 3/4 or more on their used car section, (lots don't seem to make the Approved Used website)
I think the year's guarantee and extensive road test facilities are worth a lot.
Best bet is to wise up on the going rates, get around the dealers, and make it clear that you're serious. Keep things pleasant (no silly take-it-or-leave it tantrums), broach pricing gently, and you should be able to ascertain how low he can go.
It's always worked for me - and I have always managed a good discount!:thumb:
(There are a few pre-March 2006 current models that were kept in tax band K - £260)

Serious point....try both the sport and the SE before you try as the ride quality on British roads can be pretty grim on 20" wheels and they are also prone to buckling, whereas there is less chance with the 18"'s. My local MB dealer has been doing a good trade in people downsizing to 18" wheels from the larger diameters due to buckled wheels and the hideous cost of replacing them.

Granted the 20" looks nice.......But the trade off is too much in my opinion

Leather will also look much smarter 5 years down the line than the Alcantara and will also be more user friendly with small kids in mind.

Serious point....try both the sport and the SE before you try as the ride quality on British roads can be pretty grim on 20" wheels and they are also prone to buckling, whereas there is less chance with the 18"'s. My local MB dealer has been doing a good trade in people downsizing to 18" wheels from the larger diameters due to buckled wheels and the hideous cost of replacing them.

Granted the 20" looks nice.......But the trade off is too much in my opinion

Leather will also look much smarter 5 years down the line than the Alcantara and will also be more user friendly with small kids in mind.

I agree that the ride is not as good on the 20 inch wheels due to stiffer, shallow sidewalls. I bought the Sport but immediately changed to the 18 inch wheels.

I think you will find Alcantara wears at least as well as leather.

Nearly always when MB fit bigger wheels with lower profile tyres (to keep the same rolling radius and gearing), they fit wider tyres. These aquaplane more easily, offer less grip in mud and snow, have a higher CO2 rating and the higher resistance to turning of the wider tyre also reduces steering feel. Dearer to replace too. But some like the look of bigger wheels and reckon the pros outweigh the cons.

If you change the wheels you need to tell your insurance company but since MB suggest using 18 inch wheels and winter tyres in winter (much more grip in temps below 7 degrees C) you should not be charged extra -but worth checking.

The years you are looking at, the wheels are Sport 19" and SE 17", not 20" and 18".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom