Used ML - Market / Price Negotiation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it is one car that really doesn't matter whether it is sport or SE, same with the X5, the SE seems to sell for just as much, unlike any other BMW model.

There was a nice 20k mile 2009 facelift for sale on autotrader last week for £21950, still had main dealer warranty for 6 months. No comand but then I would rather retrofit the latest comand and wouldn't actually buy a car with the older comand now, so it as a negative rather than a positive.
It was black/black.

Can't find it now.

This is a facelift at under £23k at a main dealer, 23k miles.

http://www.carmony.co.uk/en/used-car/mercedes-benz-m-class-diesel-sw_2216805

The interior on the facelift is on another level, so much nicer. I had sort of done a deal over the phone on a 2008 ML320cdi a few months back, but when I went and took it out I was seriously disappointed with the interior quality, a massive step back from my E320cdi, so I left it, but then went out in a facelift and it is lovely, would have one of those for sure.

Nearly always when MB fit bigger wheels with lower profile tyres (to keep the same rolling radius and gearing), they fit wider tyres.
Ah ok, I thought you were suggesting the rim diameter was directly linked to grip.

MB suggest using 18 inch wheels and winter tyres in winter (much more grip in temps below 7 degrees C)
It's not as simple as that according to the recent What Car? tyre test. At 5.5C on a dry road summer tyres still gave significantly more grip (measured stopping distance from 62 mph).

What Car?

As in what car did they do the test in??

That is the thing with tyres tests, it only every shows you how a certain tyres works on that car.

Haha, yeah I know What Car?

My point was that tyres tests only ever tell you how a tyres performs on the car it is tested on.

I remember reading the positive reviews of the Goodyear Assymetricals on tyresmoke and the magasines, so bought some for my M3, they were awful on that, and as more M3 owners bought them they all said the same.
But all the reviews were on FWD Golfs, Passats, Audi A4's etc. etc.

So tyre tests mean sod all I reckon, I think the best thing is to read a dozen reviews and see which tyres constantly come out on top, there does seem to be a pattern amongst the very best, but very rarely does the same tyre win two different tests.

Any thoughts on the airmatic suspension, I have seen a couple of cars with it on but quite rare. In the reviews it sounds like a good option to have but i am worried about its long term reliability and cost to fix. Any experience with it ?

Yes. Had it on an S320cdi and have driven an ML with it - and the ride is excellent. But it does cost a bundle to fix and does seem to go wrong. Very few and far between. Best stick to conventional suspension and have a lot more choice IMO.

On wheel sizes wobbly is right. They were 17 inch on SE and 19 inch on sport on earlier models but on facelift (I think it was) that these were upped to 18 inch and 20 inch as they still are today.

What Car?

As in what car did they do the test in??

That is the thing with tyres tests, it only every shows you how a certain tyres works on that car.

It was a Golf:

Winter tyres tested - Dry conditions - Car and Car-Buying News - What Car?

But the whole point was comparing different summer & winter tyres on the same car. If you put identical tyres (make, model, size) on say a B Class the individual stopping distances might be slightly different, but you would expect the relative performance of the tyres to be the same.

I bought a 2006 ml 350 sport a few months back from Mercedes of licoln.
Mine has comand and airmatic amongs a host of other desirable options and cost me circa £17k with 28k miles.
If you are not doing huge mileage they are worth considering as they are cheaper than diesels albeit a bit more juicy on the fuel.
My wife drives it most of the time with our 3 kids and she loves it.

Bear in mind that these attract £400+ annual car tax.

£400 per annum road fund licence is a trivial cost in the total involved in running a car. It is less than £8 per week.

Fuel and depriciation are far more significant factors in the overall cost.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Any thoughts on the airmatic suspension, I have seen a couple of cars with it on but quite rare. In the reviews it sounds like a good option to have but i am worried about its long term reliability and cost to fix. Any experience with it ?

The Airmatic is a much bigger bonus on the ML than other cars in the Mercedes range in my experience. My current CLS has springs and I have driven a number of CLS on Airmatic and the ride and roll control was not a great deal different.
With the ML, the standard car with it's high centre of gravity is prone to roll much more and has a ride quality which is acceptable but not brilliant. Add Airmatic to the ML and you get much better roll and pitch control and a better ride quality. (You can select comfort, sport or auto)
The biggest bonus which nobody seems to talk about is the reduction in road noise. Airmatic offers great isolation from tyre and road noise and makes the ML a very refined place to be on long trips. Very close to my old 07 S class in that respect.
Depends on your prorities, but I would search out one with Airmatic if I were buying again;)

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/67425-blue-ml-320-a.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/113661-loving-ml.html

I agree with Mactech that the airmatic gives a great ride.

The problem I found is that very few people seem to choose that option and so you get a much reduced choice of secondhsnd examples.

The other thing is the cost of repair if it does go wrong. Depends on your budget I guess. But it is very nice!

£400 per annum road fund licence is a trivial cost in the total involved in running a car. It is less than £8 per week.

Fuel and depriciation are far more significant factors in the overall cost.

True at this stage in the life cycle....but further down the line when the car is worth less, buyers at that stage will be factoring in fuel costs + annual road tax and it will make the ML hard to shift, especially when the equivalent BMW X5 comes in below 225g

I have an S320 with airmatic and it was the single most expensive repar i have ever dealt with, that said the ride is excellent even on 20" wheels.

Last week I picked up an early 2006 (low road tax) ML 320cdi SE for £13500 privately on autotrader. Only 44k, 1 owner from new, full sand leather, tinted, audio 20, lighting & comfort packs etc etc.

The chap I bought it from was genuine and had approached MB Bedford to PX but they refused stating the colour (Carneol Red) was not in demand. He even put 6 months road tax on and left half a tank of diesel!

It came with the 18" wheels as standard which are great, no airmatic but had my fingers burnt already on the S320 so happy with that. Audio 20 was removed yesterday and Pioneer double din with TV, DAB, Bluetooth etc fitted.

I had it valued by Mercedes in Croydon - they offered me £15800 for PX!

Similar spec cars on Mercedes retail used have been up for £18k - £20k.

I held out for 2 months before taking the plunge on this one and came close a few times to going to mercedes but sometimes it does pay to go private.

So Spy how are you getting on? Found anything you like yet. Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom