Used reliable small premium cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Firstly, it depends on your view of what premium feel is. For example, premium feel to me is RWD with good interior build quality. For others, premium is all about the badge or the looks. I had an A250 for a few days, premium look certainly, but the interior was nowhere near as well screwed together as a C-class or above, and definitely not a patch on the build quality of an A3. However, it looks good despite having a few flaws i.e. the steering wheel obstructs the right hand side of the navigation screen.

My previous car was actually a 1.4TSI VW Golf MK5 which is pretty much the same as the ones in the newer models. The engine itself is as reliable as it gets, had no issues whatsoever at 70k miles on a 11 year old car and I had it remapped to 150hp. It was a 122hp version to begin with.

If you want reliability and premium, nothing beats Lexus. My parents have had 4 over 15 years, combined mileage of around 200k+ miles with not a single thing going wrong on any of them

Thats interesting that you found the A3 is better then the new A class, I must admit i've only sat inside them both for a few mins and I did find the A class more polished visually, not driven either of them though so no idea which i'd actually prefer.
I did look at Lexus however I find the looks a bit too extreme, also others dont seem to rate the gearbox and performance etc as much as BMW/MB, the reliability record does keep attracting me as when my car has needed work doing it is very disruptive.

Thats interesting that you found the A3 is better then the new A class, I must admit i've only sat inside them both for a few mins and I did find the A class more polished visually, not driven either of them though so no idea which i'd actually prefer.
I did look at Lexus however I find the looks a bit too extreme, also others dont seem to rate the gearbox and performance etc as much as BMW/MB, the reliability record does keep attracting me as when my car has needed work doing it is very disruptive.

Thats precisely what I mean. The A class interior is stunning but it has build quality flaws. When you start prodding around for example, the centre console is very easy to move and some of the trim choices for example that gloss black plastic is a bit unusual in a £30+k vehicle I think. The switches move around on the dashboard too if pressed too hard. You don't get this with the A3 but ultimately it depends on whether thats going to bother you.

The main thing that reviewers go on and on about is the CVT droning. I can tell you in normal driving this is just not the case. Only really occurs on full acceleration which makes me wonder whether reviewers do just rag the car around for a day. In day to day driving, i.e. like a normal person, there's no smoother/relaxing box in the business I dont think, but don't expect it to be "sporty". You would probably be an ideal candidate for a GS300h/450h if looking at the 5 year mark, possibly even IS300h if you wanted something smaller

My wife just returned a leased Infiniti Q30, certainly had a premium feel, as good as a Mercedes.

A Q30 is mechanically just an A class with different body panels and softer suspension. They do look to have a quality interior.

A Q30 is mechanically just an A class with different body panels and softer suspension. They do look to have a quality interior.
I didn't realise this, so looked at AutoTrader. Even the internal switchgear is A-class. Mercedes build quality with Nissan reliability sounds a decent combination.

Although Infinity are/have pulled out of the Uk

Although Infinity are/have pulled out of the Uk
I am not surprised... they had a stand in Westfield, and the sales lady could not explain why you would want to buy one over the other Japanese marques... or even over their Nissan-branded siblings.

The cars weren't innovative (traditional engine line-up) and the built quality wasn't quite up to Lexus standard. It was always going to be an 'also ran' marque.

I believe Infiniti might be quite a big seller in the US where there is probably a bigger market for a ‘bland nearly-Lexus’.

In my experience, Nissan are certainly not on a par with their other Japanese competitors like Honda and Toyota.

I’d 2nd what John said, our New Xtrail was dismal and the Dealer was next to useless, couldn’t wait for it to go back lol

Why not purchase a pre- 1982 classic? Road tax + MOT + ULEZ exempt and cheap insurance. If size is a concern a W115 or a W201 would work well.

Based on my experience this year with the DVLA a vehicle has to be registered in 1978 or earlier to easily qualify for road tax exemption this year. MOT exemption is simple because it's a straight forward 40 years old or more but for my Jan 79 motorcycle I have to wait until next year for road fund tax exemption.

Double check the ULEZ thing, specifically on emissions, they can make mistakes.

My 2009 E350 CDI (231bhp) is fine and passes ULEZ, but my dad’s 2010 E350 CDI (265bhp but more economical, less emissions etc due to 7G+) shows as ULEZ fail.

Some older motorbikes have way less emissions than ULEZ requires and it can’t simply done by age.

So all I’m saying is triple check that your car isn’t going to end up being fine!

Isn’t the 220/250 the most common private taxi car!?

Double check the ULEZ thing, specifically on emissions, they can make mistakes.

My 2009 E350 CDI (231bhp) is fine and passes ULEZ, but my dad’s 2010 E350 CDI (265bhp but more economical, less emissions etc due to 7G+) shows as ULEZ fail.

Some older motorbikes have way less emissions than ULEZ requires and it can’t simply done by age.

So all I’m saying is triple check that your car isn’t going to end up being fine!

Isn’t the 220/250 the most common private taxi car!?

Thats interesting, I double checked on the gov website and it does say I'd have to pay the ULEZ charge, mine is E250 Avantgarde Cdi Blue-Cy A 204 BHP with stop/start.

HPI | Euro Emission Standards, Euro 6 Diesel Emissions Standards Explained states my car is a Euro 5 which I gather is the issue, ULEZ needs to meet Euro 6..

Why not purchase a pre- 1982 classic? Road tax + MOT + ULEZ exempt and cheap insurance. If size is a concern a W115 or a W201 would work well.

See post #17.

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom