Useful accessory to protect paintwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grufflybear

Just thought I would share this useful accessory - found it advertised in Telegraph motoring supplement - my car is only 2 years old and rear bumper at tailgate was already looking a bit scruffy from dog claws etc - MB offer nothing to protect the paint from such scuffing so this usefully covered up damage and seems to be tough enough not to mark too easily and provide future protection.

It is nicely made and easy to fit - costs about £50 for an E Estate and they do others for Merc models... www.rearguards.co.uk

Maybe others have already found these - I think it blends in well especially on my colour - maybe purists will be horrified that I have fitted it but it looks better than scratched paintwork and much cheaper than a respray...

Attachments

• 03062009166b.jpg
    03062009166b.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 267
I had been pondering on buying one of these. Blends in nicely on yours, but I'm not quite so sure about mine as it is Teallite...

What I would prefer is if someone did a tough transparent self-adhesive film which would cover the same area. Some Volvos I have seen have this.

Thanks for the heads-up though. :thumb:

Edit to add:

Since mine is in at the bodyshop at the moment having repairs to the tailgate, I asked if the bumper would be blown in as part of the job as it has a few minor scratches where the kids have been clambering in the back. Apparently the bumper isn't going to be blown in, so I asked how much to do it anyway while they had the opportunity. £260. I'll live with the scratches!!

Last edited:
I had been pondering on buying one of these. Blends in nicely on yours, but I'm not quite so sure about mine as it is Teallite...

What I would prefer is if someone did a tough transparent self-adhesive film which would cover the same area. Some Volvos I have seen have this.

Thanks for the heads-up though. :thumb:

Edit to add:

Since mine is in at the bodyshop at the moment having repairs to the tailgate, I asked if the bumper would be blown in as part of the job as it has a few minor scratches where the kids have been clambering in the back. Apparently the bumper isn't going to be blown in, so I asked how much to do it anyway while they had the opportunity. £260. I'll live with the scratches!!

Try HERE this is supposed to be high end best in the business stuff, my mate used them on his Maserati. If they have not got the film for the part of the car you need let me know as I do know another supplier who will cut you what you want in whatever thickness of film you want but their details are in my office at home

MB offer nothing to protect the paint from such scuffing so this usefully covered up damage and seems to be tough enough not to mark too easily and provide future protection.
Excuse me :devil::D

I know exactly where you are coming from and it was the main reason we have the electronic floor. Before our dog jumps up into the rear of our car, we slide the Mercedes floor out over the rear bumper, so yes Mercedes do offer an option and we have it ;)

I do like what you have purchased and is there any chance of some better pictures please?

Excuse me :devil::D

I know exactly where you are coming from and it was the main reason we have the electronic floor. Before our dog jumps up into the rear of our car, we slide the Mercedes floor out over the rear bumper, so yes Mercedes do offer an option and we have it ;)

I do like what you have purchased and is there any chance of some better pictures please?

yes nice clear picture on the company's website www.rearguards.co.uk and it is representative of the actual product - they also make it in a silver finish but no pics of that...

Size of that bloody dog:eek: i think you need a bigger car.

Lynall

Grufflybear - off topic but what wheels do you have on your S211? They look like 18" Ruchas like mine only nicer, thanks

Size of that bloody dog:eek: i think you need a bigger car.

Lynall

Just about room for the 2 of us inside - car rocks gently in time with his breathing - did think about 4 x 4 but have small narrow garage - big problem comes if I get absurdly large dog a friend :)

I see MB fitting Armourguard film on new E and S class. Over the leading edges of the rear arches. Looks OK until you polish the car and the edges are outlined in white...

Grufflybear - off topic but what wheels do you have on your S211? They look like 18" Ruchas like mine only nicer, thanks

Hello Gregg this may sound odd but I don't actually know what the wheels are called - the car was dealer demonstrater and they were already on it they are 18's and 265 35 and 45. ALL of them ended up getting buckled eventually and invoice for replacement just calls them MB 6 6 47 4363 (aprt number I suppose) - Not sure if this design was prone to damage but I also damaged one on a fairly minor pot hole strike too - I have continental run flats and sport suspension so ride is "firm" to say the least but they do look smart and handling is quite sharp...

Hmmm, looks like a good idea. I have the same model of car and a dog also, who has a habit of jumping out and clawing the bumper the second the tailgate is opened. Pity they don't have any photos of the silver finish guard, my car is cubanite silver so the grey wouldn't work well IMO - wonder if the silver is metal or 'silver-effect' plastic?

ETA have just checked and it looks like they are 'silver-effect' plastic, if anyone has one in this finish would you mind posting photos up, ta!

Ah, now I see it :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom