Useful features discovered by accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
Following on from the rather negative useless features thread, let's create some positive waves...

What useful features have you discovered by accident ie NOT by reading the manual. Here's two from me:-

1 s124 "third" sunvisor hiding behind the RVM
2 w202 handle in the boot floor carpet trim which hooks onto the rubber lip of the boot to allow 2 handed rummaging in the wheel/battery well.

The first time I discovered SBC hold, I nearly had a heart attack because I didn't have a clue what I'd done.

On my facelift S211 I lifted the rear seat backrest levers and the front seats moved forward and up slightly, in anticipation.

Good stuff :thumb:

'C' mode on a C200 cdi. Very useful for waking you up and making you extremely alert if you

a) forget it's engaged and

b) Try to nip into a narrow gap on a busy roundabout.

I've only recently figured out the Bluetooth and Linguatronic in mine - telling a car to read out texts and being able to text back by speaking is amazing to a Luddite such as myself.

The first time I discovered SBC hold, I nearly had a heart attack because I didn't have a clue what I'd done.

Same thing happened to me and this was like after having the car for 2 months, soon as i got home i got the handbook out and checked quickly....only to put a smile on my face to know what it was.

'C' mode on a C200 cdi. Very useful for waking you up and making you extremely alert if you

C is for snow... and I don't drive in the snow. Car is fine in S :D

The motion sensors inside my car....its really cool, when you lock the car a few seconds later a motorised flap opens from the rear interior light.

The car should take off in 1st when floored, even in 'C'

The car should take off in 1st when floored, even in 'C'

Yes, but if you are in C then you are likely to be in a higher gear than you would if driving in S, hence the kickdown working harder.

I like the fact that I can lock the car remotely while the boot is open, then put the key away while I unload the boot, knowing that once I've closed the boot the indicators will flash to confirm that the car is fully locked/alarmed.

-Enabling child lock on W202 switches off rear window switch back light
-pulling the grey light 'switch' turns off boot light in w202 boot
-dash goes red if passenger seat not locked in position w209

Locking the car with the bonnet up causes indicators to flash after a while. W202, w211 and w209

Convenience locking/unlocking is pretty handy at times :)

Some of the replies are stretching the definition of "by accident"!
s124 engaging reverse gear when raining and using front wipers - the rear wiper automatically engages.

:crazy:

I like the fact that I can lock the car remotely while the boot is open, then put the key on the boot floor while I unload the boot, knowing that once I've closed the boot the indicators will flash to confirm that the car is fully locked/alarmed and I'm up the proverbial creek...

Nah, that could never happen...

Took me almost 4 years with my W211 to 'discover' SBC Hold!!!
No SBC on the CLS so was pleased to learn that it had 'Hold', works the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom