Useless tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian B Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
Today I was doing a glow plug change on a 300E Turbo. I have this glow plug extractor tool which I bought about 6 months ago but had never used. So thinking about it, thought to myself, give it a try. It is utterly useless, doesn't grip the glow plug as the collar is too, its too large to use in confined spaces and in my opinion, a complete waste of money. Which got me thinking. What is the most useless tool you have bought?

Today I was doing a glow plug change on a 300E Turbo. I have this glow plug extractor tool which I bought about 6 months ago but had never used. So thinking about it, thought to myself, give it a try. It is utterly useless, doesn't grip the glow plug as the collar is too, its too large to use in confined spaces and in my opinion, a complete waste of money. Which got me thinking. What is the most useless tool you have bought?
We've all been subjected to a useless TOOL for the last few years, and Gordon Brown springs to mind.:mad::doh::(

I bought a plastic bumper repair kit from Snap-on recently.
Used it once and demanded my money back......

On the other hand one of my favourite tools is a valve spring compressor for 116/117 engines that I made from bits of scrap that were lying around on the garage floor 25 years ago. It's been used hundreds of times and didn't cost me a penny!

Last edited:
bought a new tank hoover yesterday and on putting it together it broke!

Watchmakers screwdrivers. . . . . Never made a watch or used them in years, nice box though.

sTeVe

Useless tools...let me see...Graham Norton, Timmy Mallet, Russell Crowe, most NGO's, any member of a manufactured boy/girl band, the leader of the BNP whose putrid features dropped onto my doorstep this morning.....frankly the list is endless,

as for the original question any device claiming to clean venetian blinds easily!

£25 for an SWA cable blade runner,its supposed to work a bit like a pipe cutter but it was useless and made a mess of my cables 3 times in a row.Last seen entering a field of rapeseed near Mansfield where I spat my dummy and threw it.

£25 for an SWA cable blade runner,its supposed to work a bit like a pipe cutter but it was useless and made a mess of my cables 3 times in a row.Last seen entering a field of rapeseed near Mansfield where I spat my dummy and threw it.
LOL I had exactly the same experience :D, mine got launched across the company car park.

Brake pipe bending pliers, absolutely useless!

Once I found external pipe bending springs, the pliers were confined to the bin. Total waste of money.

Cordless circular saw. Absolute rubbish. It donated it's battery to other power tools years ago and sits on a high shelf gathering dust.

I once had a traditional paraffin-type blow-lamp.
Tried to use it several times over a number of years.
It would never work properly.
Eventually tossed it in despair and bought a gas type.
Excellent.

Other crazy experience I had was using Manger's fill-and fix foam.
This is an expanding poly-urethane foam.
Very sticky ... Gets everywhere.
It's supposed to be applied through a tube from an applicator.
The reality is that it works once, but then the nozzle blocks and it is very difficult to get it to go another time.
Some years ago, I was fitting some window frames and using this to fill the gap.
I tried for about an hour to get it to go one morning, with no luck.
I threw it in the bin in exasperation.
Whereupon, it immediately started to expel it contents and would not stop.
It all expanded and completely filled my bin.
Horror !!

Useless tools, indeed.

Pressure brake bleeders!

Find me one that does not leak!!!!

Cordless circular saw. Absolute rubbish. It donated it's battery to other power tools years ago and sits on a high shelf gathering dust.

I'd have to disagree with you on this one - I found my cheapo 18V cordless really good - once I'd fitted a decent blade to it. Unfortunately I burnt out the motor, and a decent replacement is too expensive to justify at the moment! But - I do miss it!

Pressure brake bleeders!

Find me one that does not leak!!!!

That's mad, those fiddly little washers on the Gunson 'bleed easy' never seals properly :wallbash:

....and another thing...:p

I bought 2 DeWalt 18v versions of these and all I can say is they are brilliant.

Put these together with a Paslode gun and you can felt and batten a roof in half the time!!

I didn't buy it but was given a biscuit-jointer for Christmas one year.

I even ordered biscuits from ebay but it is cheap and nasty and never cuts in the same place twice so totally useless...

And I'm a Man Utd fan!

If they'd kept the receipt they could have got a refund.

Last edited:

And I'm a Man Utd fan!

If they'd kept the receipt they could have got a refund.
Same here, Berbacr@p should go. Totally useless. Missed three if not more open goals yesterday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom