Using a clk 320 engine for a Vw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sco77

Car
VW T25 Crewcab , VW T4 Autosleeper , Mercedes 320 Clk
Hi, im after tips or opinions please . i have a 3.2 clk 320 . the car is going to cost more to fix than its worth but the engine is good, my VW T25 crew cab pick up needs and engine :) .Emerald engine management can sort the electrics. i can get an adaptor plate made and can sort the mounts. Anything im missing? i know you guys have an amazing knowledge and might save me wasting my time if it can't be done . many thanks

Having many years ago grafted a Saab 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine into Reliant 3 wheel van, and also in part grafted a VW Beetle engine into the back of a Mini,( which after the death of my mate never got finished ) I can say that engine swaps into an alien vehicle are a labour of love, time consuming and expensive. There is always another problem to overcome. With a big hammer and a welding torch, anything can be made to fit anything.
I think that I would Ebay the CLK as a runner/spares and use the cash to get an engine for the T25, or rebuild yours if you have a penchant for getting your hands dirty.
If you do decide to proceed, then take lots of pics and post them here.
Best of fortune in your endeavour.

Steve.

Hi, im after tips or opinions please . i have a 3.2 clk 320 . the car is going to cost more to fix than its worth but the engine is good, my VW T25 crew cab pick up needs and engine :) .Emerald engine management can sort the electrics. i can get an adaptor plate made and can sort the mounts. Anything im missing? i know you guys have an amazing knowledge and might save me wasting my time if it can't be done . many thanks

The 320 would have been mated to an automatic gearbox? The engine ECU also communicates with the gearbox TCU, there may be problems if the expected gearbox is not present?

Swapping an engine of a car with the same engine but a different model is fraught with its own perils never mind what you’re proposing but good luck and pray for a fair wind if you do!

Thanks for the replies . pics of that reliant would be good @toolman1954 :) , the original flat 4 is about 70 bhp and even rebuilt are prone to gasket failures . A poor rebuilt flat 4 is around £1600. so my thinking is the scrappy offered me £100 for the Mercedes so i have £1500 to play with haha. i think the emerald engine management won't know its an auto so could be ok. will let you all know what happens.
Can i just remove the Aircon and belt or does the belt drive more than the Aircon ?

Thanks for the replies . pics of that reliant would be good @toolman1954 :) , the original flat 4 is about 70 bhp and even rebuilt are prone to gasket failures . A poor rebuilt flat 4 is around £1600. so my thinking is the scrappy offered me £100 for the Mercedes so i have £1500 to play with haha. i think the emerald engine management won't know its an auto so could be ok. will let you all know what happens.

Can i just remove the Aircon and belt or does the belt drive more than the Aircon ?
The belt drives the water pump, power steering and alternator as well as the A/C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom