Using a Comand-APS to play DVDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vito07

I have just bought a new Merc Vito (07) with the comand-aps built in (I think it is the Euro W211 type) and wondered what the "video" button does. Can this unit play DVDs on the screen.

It seems that the manual is absent of any mention of it!

Many thanks! Great forum by the way!

Pretty sure the VITO has the same Comand as the C Class - we were considering a 120 Dualiner a while back. in which case TV/DVD is an expensive extra.

Thanks for your prompt reply - do you know if it is possible to "adapt" the comand so that it does play dvds. Obviously it reads DVD-ROMS so you'd assume that it could read a movie DVD. What would I need to do to enable this to happen? Do I assume that a TV Tuner cannot be added to a comand in a vito either then?

I've seen a company in Belgium,they open the comand and make a connection on the comand circuit bord so you can connect an external dvd player to play DVD's.In the interior of an E-klass comand there's an dvd decoder to play movie's.In the comand's without AGW there is no decoder and so you can't play dvd's.
I am awaiting an electrical schematic how to connect the external player.

Carlo

I've seen a company in Belgium,they open the comand and make a connection on the comand circuit bord so you can connect an external dvd player to play DVD's.In the interior of an E-klass comand there's an dvd decoder to play movie's.In the comand's without AGW there is no decoder and so you can't play dvd's.
I am awaiting an electrical schematic how to connect the external player.

Carlo

Hi Carlo,
Can you please provide this info (electrical schematic on how to connect the external player) when you get it?
Thanks,
Miguel

Thanks for all your help - is there a way of finding out exactly which type of Comand is fitted in my Vito? - i.e. whether it has AGW or not...

Your'e vito has a Comand like in A-B-Sprinter .
They can't play dvd's.

Carlo

Hmmm...very frustrating - one of the main reasons I bought the comand as an optional extra was because I'd seen mercedes cars playing dvds and thought it looked really good! I wonder why they make it so that vitos can't play them. Can I install a TV tuner instead?

Hmmm...very frustrating - one of the main reasons I bought the comand as an optional extra was because I'd seen mercedes cars playing dvds and thought it looked really good! I wonder why they make it so that vitos can't play them. Can I install a TV tuner instead?

If you install a TV tuner corectly you will have the following functions
- reverse camera capability
- DVD player / MP4 / iPOD video capability
- TV digital / analog
- second screen output (rear viewers / sun-visor LCD)

The connection is relatively simple but it relies on having the appropriate TV tuner and a proper installer.

www.MBENZNL.com can certainly get you over the finish line.

Just because it does not have the function now does not mean you can not have the function. All that is required is to follow the appropriate method for expanding your vans functions.

Generally speaking I dont think Mercedes have identified with van owners as the market niche for in-car-video. Most people with heavy equipment are looking for utility.

Thanks Miro - that's really useful, I've had a look on their site and been in touch with Alfie at Comand.co.uk and it looks like I should be able to get sorted soon!

I had a look on your site and noticed that you've installed a Bose sound system in one of your projects. Is this something that would be possible on my vito?

I think you're right about Mercedes not identifying with the commerical market as being a target audience for in car entertainment, but as I bought the van for the band I am in (dualiner with 6 seats) we'd love to have great sound and DVD options for "life on the road"! There's an awful lot of waiting around between gigs and soundchecks etc.. so in-van entertainment will be an excellent remedy!

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Hi Guys,

I have come accross a company in the past who supplied me with two solution for my W209 CLK. I wanted to add a dvd player to my front screen or my ipod if at all possible. The company is called Nav tv and they supplied my local audio dealer with two products the first one activates the video button on the command and they also supplied an ipod kit which replaced the cd changer but had full control of my ipod.
Had both devices installed for about 6 months and they both work great. Try visiting there website www.nav.tv and see if they can help.

Hope this helps you out.

but as I bought the van for the band I am in (dualiner with 6 seats) we'd love to have great sound and DVD options for "life on the road"!
A band we might have heard of??

PS Sorry I can't help you get the COMAND DVD sorted, but MIRO, Alfie, et al are the experts on this sort of stuff!!

Thanks Mikey - just had a look at their site and it looks really good. I've just had the Mercedes iPod kit fitted (by my Merc dealer) and it's really good isn't it! The only thing that I've found is that I've now lost the use of my AUX input in the glove box, but they said I could still install a CD changer if I wanted to. To be honest, I'd rather they'd have put it in the CD Changer socket and left my AUX socket activated really, because that's quite useful for odd things that I want to put through the speakers (minidisc player, portable DVD player etc...)

Did Nav Tv fit a Merc TV tuner for you then?

Hi Vito07, i've got the Nav TV iPod interface installed on my vehicle and not the Mercedes when I looked into it the Nav TV product had more functions.

With regards to the TV tuner I had fitted a Digital tv tuner which I dont think is a mercedes product. It has a seperate control to select different channels etc but work great.

Glad that I could be of help Vito07.

Have many other people had this done to there vehicles that you know of then?

Mikey, Any idea on the costing involved to have what you have had done . How does it Play DVD's.. I thought the Command had a CD drive as mine is a CD drive version ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom