Using a hotels broadband connection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mapleleaf

MB Enthusiast
Car
2022 GLC 300 estate- replaced 2018 Gle 43 AMG Night - replaced previous 2015 E63 AMG
The hotel we are using next month on our jollies has wireless broadband in the guest rooms . Anyone know how I get onto the internet from my wireles laptop (sad taking it on hols I know but needs must ). Would I need to set up a new isp account? . All I need is an internet connection so I can pick up emails & check a couple of things at work using gotmypc.

thanks

Your hotel will provide you with all the dertails. Your lap-top should pick up the connection automatically and offer you a log in box of some description.

When you switch on your laptop and try to connect to the internet it will show you a list of available connections. Select the one which the Hotel staff have given you details of and away you go.

usually the hotel will give you a card with a code. You will need to connect to the wireless device and then open internet explorer (or equivalent). This should take you to the providers homepage where you will need to enter the code on the card. Voila..... you are free to surf!

Check first that it's free!

Some of the hotels provide "The Cloud" or "BT Openzone" coverage BUT you need to subscribe or pay a daily charge....

Yes, check in advance, there are several companies which supply equipment to hotels and pay them a % of income from people using the connection. Prices for these are IMHO a ripoff but you are a captive audience. In the US now you can get free broadband wireless access from many hotels. Some entreprenurial hotels are offering this in the UK but most offer a transferable subscription system (you've paid for 100 credits in advance on our system so as long as you visit one of our other hotels/airports/coffee shops in the next 12 months you can use your balance there) However if your hotel has a different service supplier you need a whole new account.

i stayed in a hotel last week,you pay £5 per day for the password to be able to connect to the wireless network, the following day they change the password.i was lucky as a businessman payed for 3 days access and gave me the passwords,everyone in the bar at night was told them for free.

i got fed up with all this nonsense.

now have a 3G data card. problem solved.

I stayed at the Raddisson SAS in Glasgow last week.... wireless broadband was free although my hard drive packed up 10 mins after connecting!!!!!

thanks chaps, it seems pretty simple then. the hotel is in toronto, canada.

fuzzer, tel me more about 3g please - I havent been able to get my head around it properly yet. what sort of costs are involved etc. cheers

steve_bcs said:
the hotel is in toronto

My guess is you'll have free access in Toronto (you can always email the hotel)

steve_bcs said:
thanks chaps, it seems pretty simple then. the hotel is in toronto, canada.

fuzzer, tel me more about 3g please - I havent been able to get my head around it properly yet. what sort of costs are involved etc. cheers

3G isnt for canada , would cost a fortune to roam on your 3G card over there.

I use orange 3g , its a data only account and can use it when im out and about. Get as fast a connection as you can out and about. Supposed to be 384k , but its fast none the less. Not sure about figures.

http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Business&c=OUKPage&cid=1135953587219

im on pay as you consume. £1 per MB . totally rocks :)

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/yourplan/mocplan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom