Using a mobile now gets 3 penalty points

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
I have no problem with this legislation, but does it then give the impression that it is okay to use a CB or amateur radio whilst driving? (Holding, or using a microphone)

Likewise is it okay to program any type of GPS whilst driving? Then we start looking at

Tuning a radio,
Replacing a CD\Tape\DVD etc
Smoking, including the lighting of the cigarette, or worse rolling one?
Reading a map or newspaper whilst driving (I have seen a bus driver doing this)
Eating, or drinking

The list is endless, but I would suggest all would be covered by section three of the Road Traffic Act?

Game on,
John the stirrer

I think the rest come under 'driving without due care and attention'.

I thouht they left the handheld radios etc alone because some of the emergency services use them

as to the rest of your points I think most of them have been prosecuted at some stage. A woman here got done for driving along eating an apple and someone was taken to court (but got off) for sitting in a traffic jam and drinking a can of Coke on a hot day

Apparently lighting a cigarette or smoking uses a different part of the brain than using a phone which is why that is still allowed

Andy

Having seen someone on his phone in a Golf GTI knock a cyclist off his bike and having had several near misses myself with people on thier mobiles I think this is a good thing.

I see people in top marque cars (including MB's) holding thier mobiles to thier ears... surely they can afford a handsfree kit.

I have a handsfree but limit my usage as it is still a distraction. I usually answer the call and tell them I will call them back when its safe.

Amazingly I was nearly hit by someone who looked like they were trying to compose a text message whilst driving!

I think the rest come under 'driving without due care and attention'.
:D Good morning Janner,
That's Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act :) At times I get criticised for not being accurate enough so I thought I would bung it in.

Hi Andy,
Never let the truth spoil a good story, but here is an apple eating prosecution which the media had a filed day with.

Of course a driver would only eat an apple whilst in a traffic jam :rolleyes: ;) I bet they placed it on the nice leather seats when they moved off? :D

One day the Police MIGHT speak up and defend themselves, but I doubt it will be in our life time. Meanwhile the media will enjoy listening to the poor hard done by innocent victim.

John the stirrer

Mornin' John,
Q: If you're in the latest S-Class with an auto box, radar cruise and brake assist can you hop in the back to answer the phone?

:devil:

ubiquitous?

Any activity which involves taking your eyes off the road must be hazardous by definition. The programing of a GPS system being a good case in point. It's OK to look at a detailed map on a screen but not for example a TV program while driving shows a degree of inconsistency of approach. :rolleyes: Manufacturers are addressing these problems with hands free technology fortunately and the latest design of IN CAR NAVIGATION systems are at least now being placed at eye level.:) Its another example of new technology being introduced and legislation catching up. I suspect that changes in the mobile phone legislation are largely driven by 2 factors.
1. virtually all car drivers have a mobile phone so the potential problem is widespread.:mad:
2. Studies of real life accidents will have proved their use while moving constitutes a real rather than a perceived hazard:eek:

One way of reducing congestion if you get my drift?

People will still use mobiles, points will rack up and more people will be banned....

I would imagine the new drivers will have a very hard intial two years with the potential to lose your licence very very easily now, shame the law could not be as enthusiastic towards other aspects of daily life hey? other than a continued drive at targating motorists.

I think this law is a good thing; last week I was overtaken on the M4 by a young lady doing 90mph in a CLK with a phone in one hand and a clipboard on the steering wheel, and just half an hour ago, saw a delivery van driver on the phone drive into a car that had right of way. The chances of actually being caught doing it are pretty slim though.

I agree that holding a phone to your ear restricts movement and therefore visibility. I also regularly observe very poor driving standards of people using mobile phones while driving.

That said, if I put my handset on hands free speaker phone, and hold it in my hand (not against my ear) then I am not sure how that is in any way different than using a CB radio or police radio handset.

Whether this tightening up of the law is right or wrong, I've no idea how they plan to catch anyone in the act.

As far as I know speed and ANPR cameras can't be configured to check to see if drivers are holding a phone to their ear.

I got pulled over last year for answering my mobile while driving ...

Was an unmarked car behind me, that i hadn't noticed ....:crazy:

Played the humility card , 'yes officer' , 'no officer' , 'sorry officer' , 'never happen again sir' ....

They ticked me off and let me go .....

Lucky !

They will probably just rely on motorists being caught by unmarked cars ....

They only have to make an example of a few and everyone will fall into line :rolleyes:

A friend of mine caused a serious accident years ago while concentrating on tuning his radio.
It would seem relatively easy to configure cameras to catch people on mobile phones. Phones are probably highlighted as it is the most common form of driver inattention.

Phones are probably highlighted as it is the most common form of driver inattention.

Doubt it, just the easiest to spot from a distance (and prove - if necessary you can get usage details from their provider). Radio or CD player would probably be the most common distraction, arguing with kids would be well up there too!

:D Hi Andy,
Never let the truth spoil a good story, but here is an apple eating prosecution which the media had a filed day with.

nah, the one down here was nowhere near as high tech :) One of our local beat bobbies spotted a woman driving along slowly looking for somewhere to park whilst enjoying the tail end of her lunch - when she parked up he booked her.

No helicopters, no fancy video cameras just plain stupidity

My local radio station had a Q&A session this morning with members of the public asking questions and a senior member of the local police answering them. I've looked on the website but can't find anything on it. However the gist was:

Q: Can I still use my hand held mobile in a traffic jam?
A: No, if you do you face a £60 fine and 3 points.

Q: Can I use a handsfree kit when driving?
A: You might not be holding the handset, but it's still a distraction, and so you may face 'driving without due care'.

From that I was left thinking that it's illegal to use the phone even handsfree. Can anyone confirm?

So would it be driving without due care while talking to a passenger?

My local radio station had a Q&A session this morning with members of the public asking questions and a senior member of the local police answering them. I've looked on the website but can't find anything on it. However the gist was:

Q: Can I still use my hand held mobile in a traffic jam?
A: No, if you do you face a £60 fine and 3 points.

Q: Can I use a handsfree kit when driving?
A: You might not be holding the handset, but it's still a distraction, and so you may face 'driving without due care'.

From that I was left thinking that it's illegal to use the phone even handsfree. Can anyone confirm?

You need to have the engine turned off to legally use a hand-held phone in the car.

Handsfree puts the phone into the same category as any other distraction (apple, kids, radio, etc.). If you're seen driving badly or have an accident you may get done for 'driving without due care', otherwise you'll probably be OK.

Mornin' John,
Q: If you're in the latest S-Class with an auto box, radar cruise and brake assist can you hop in the back to answer the phone?:devil:
:D :D Only if it's an estate S-class :D

John the optimist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom